I hope this is the right place to post this! I'm trying to learn "Dynamic" HTML. Unfortunately the book is geared towards IE and Netscape. It even uses scripts such as "layer tag for Netscape Communicator" and "iframe tag for Microsoft Explorer." I'm not sure what to do here but I don't want to create pages that are for those two browsers only. What is the best way to tackle this problem? Remember I'm new to this so please go easy on me! :lol:

unfortunately browsers have various standards that other browsers don't like. it's a constant problem for webmasters, trying to test and make sure their webpages are displayed correctly in various different browsers. it's a pain in the royal behind.

however, your book may be a bit old. iframes is no longer IE specific-although they sort of "started it" (netscape 6+ recognizes iframes, as does mozilla and others). don't know about the layer tag.

my suggestion: learn the basics from the book, and check out http://www.htmlgoodies.com

everything i learned about HTML i learned online :)

Remember I'm new to this so please go easy on me! :lol:
you're lucky, i usually like to go hard on newbies...i mean, be hard on newbies...i mean.....

oh nevermind.

I found a great book in my office when I first took over this job. "Creating web pages - simplified" It's really cool this little floppy disk charactor tells you all about stuff, he is really helpful.

Whats that floppy..... no I cant do that....

if you keep to the standards, then any standards compliant browser will display your website correctly

10 points goes to the next person who guess which browser is NOT standards compliant :roll:

if you keep to the standards, then any standards compliant browser will display your website correctly

10 points goes to the next person who guess which browser is NOT standards compliant  :roll:

Oh let me guess Mozilla? the most non standards compliant brower in existance :wink:

Not like IE which follows the w3c guides to the letter. (Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaa chokes in fits of laughter)

10 points goes to the next person who guess which browser is NOT standards compliant  :roll:

Oh let me guess Mozilla? the most non standards compliant brower in existance :wink:

Not like IE which follows the w3c guides to the letter. (Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaa chokes in fits of laughter)

Actually, I would guess that it is IE that is not standards compliant. You can write a poorly coded website and IE forgives you and displays everything you thought you were doing. I always viewed my site in Netscape to make sure that I coded everything (like the tables) properly. If you don't code it perfectly, it looks like crapola in Netscape.

But I guess you might've been being facetious and meant exactly that. lol.

Actually, I would guess that it is IE that is not standards compliant. You can write a poorly coded website and IE forgives you and displays everything you thought you were doing. I always viewed my site in Netscape to make sure that I coded everything (like the tables) properly. If you don't code it perfectly, it looks like crapola in Netscape.

But I guess you might've been being facetious and meant exactly that. lol.

yes, to get an more accurate statement take the opposite of what i stated. would have thought the :wink: and "Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaa chokes in fits of laughter" would make that more apparent. :P

Wouuld it be better to learn some dynamic scripting such as asp, or php rather than html? I'm not sure so I"m asking :)

If you learn php you would still need to learn html, javascript, dom and css(let the nightmare begin :P).

You use php to query databases or process stuff on the server and out put html to the clients browser.

Definately go for php rather than asp, php is very easy to learn and the documentation is fantastic. If you get stuck there are lots of forums (www.phpbuilder.com is a good one) and you can always annoy Paul :D or i might even help you (I mainly use it for database apps and creating pdf's from dynamic data, Paul looks to be the webpage expert).

Wouuld it be better to learn some dynamic scripting such as asp, or php rather than html? I'm not sure so I"m asking :)

johnnyv is right

asking this question is oike asking "is it better to learn poetry, or english?"

HTML is in everything !!!!! its kinda like the english languauge of websites ;-)

php does all the cool nifty stuff that plain ol' html can't do

Hey paul,

Do you mind if you ask what you used to write your website with? It's very impressive and I especially like your mouse over techniques. Only thing is that you need to update the info about he MUB because it says we have over 1200 registered users. :oops:

Ok

I taught myself HTML, CSS JavaScript and a lot of that.

for HTML tutorial there is no better tutorial than Joe's

www.pagetutor.com

However you need to pay to see some of it but there are free mirrors easily found on Google.

w3schools.com

Sooooooooooooooooo usefull. They teach you not only how to use it, but how to be generally standards compliant too!! 8) :lol: :P

and there is NO better site for this sort of thing than:

www.w3.org

A lot of stuff there. Very use full Validator.

DHTML? Don't waste your time!!! Learn normal JavaScript. Very very usefull.

Also of fun after you learn html is XML and XSLT. These allow you to COMPLETELY seperate formatting and data. And do more of course.

http://zvon.org/

Let me know if you need help. I have a huger reference/tutorial colledtion i downloaded off the internet. XML/XSLT, HTML, bit of XHTML, JavaScript, Basic CSS. A lot. I'll upload it if you need it.

And one last place which is great for learning how to do something is the good ol' 'Right Click and View Page Source"

Good luck, just gimme an email if you need help

James