How do you kill in KDE?

synthecin

In KDE if a program hung, I could kill it with Ctrl/alt/dlte

But since I changed to KDE4 nothing happens, regardless of what combination of Keys I use,. I've tried Cnt/Esc, Ctrl/ALT/Esc, Ctrl/ALT/Delete

Can it be done?

Nic

The need for this is that sometimes when I close Opera 9.51, and then try to reopen it, I get a pop up that tells me that Opera is already running, do I want to start another.

This 1st instance of opera is nowhere to be found. (I closed it that is why I'm trying to reopen it). So, I'm forced to start this 2nd instance or reboot.

While I'm at it.

If I do choose to reboot. (or on any fresh start for that matter), once having done so, I have no internet connection. I must first unplug my modem cable, wait a moment, a pop up then appears that says I have lost my connection. Next I Plug the cable back in, at which point I get a pop up telling me that I now have a connection. Once this is done, I then able to connect to the internet. Isn't that odd. Any suggestions.

Nic

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman]

The easiest is ......Ctrl+Alt+Esc.... This will kill just the particular frozen program when you position the mouse pointer (now a skull and bones icon) 0ver the application and Left click it.

I have never found it necessary to install any kind of Kill program in the past 5 to 6 years.

Cheers. John.

• 2 weeks later...
The easiest is ......Ctrl+Alt+Esc.... This will kill just the particular frozen program when you position the mouse pointer (now a skull and bones icon) 0ver the application and Left click it.

Curiosity;

Not seeing this behaviour in a default install of Mandriva Spring 2008 (2008.1) within KDE; i.e. nothing happens. Personal tweak by you?

To Xolo.

No tweaks. It is standardand does not require the installation of xkill or any other packages.

Open KDE Control Centre..........Regional and Accessability..............Keyboard Shortcuts..........Miscellaneous There you will see or should see a line Kill Window-----------Ctrl+Alt+Escape

If it is not there then I think you can set it up to be so.

I say again I haver never had to tweaks to get this and I only use default keyboard settings. Special Note: I select US Keyboard rather than British Keyboard because a couple of keys are changed and do not do as I want (can't remember what now since it was so long ago :D )

Cheers. John.

Thanks!

I have US International set as keyboard layout myself, 'US' or even one matching my local language always throws a wrench in the works with keys being 'in the wrong place' or 'missing'.

I located the entry for 'Kill Window' under Control Centre>Regional & Accessibility>Keyboard Shortcuts>Global Shortcuts>System>Miscellaneous>Kill Window, the value there is set to 'Alt+Ctrl+Escape'

And apparently it will only trigger if I hit (on the right side of the keyboard) alt gr+ctrl+escape, this brings up 'Process Table - KDE System Guard' showing a realtime updated list of processes currently running on my system.

In contrast, it seems all entries in the shortcut list are using alt+ctrl combinations on my system.. the left side of the keyboard is entirely ignored concerning both keys.

Note that I did not tweak KDE in any way, I have only updated this system (Mandriva Free Spring 2008.1) so far from online repositories.

Now I know why it didn't work, I was hitting the 'wrong' keys :)

Edit: typo!