Starting an already-open display remotely

Andrewski

I'm able to connect to my computer remotely using XDMCP, but when I do that, I can't see the applications that I started locally. Is that possible to do? I don't necessarily need to open the same display (like VNC does), simply "bringing up" running applications (like Gaim) would suffice. However, I don't want to use VNC, as it is incredibly slow across my LAN.

Steve,

That works for bringing up individual applications locally, but what I'm trying to do is to "redirect" the existing X session (and all of its programs) from my remote computer to the terminal where I'm sitting.

I guess it would work equally as well if there was a way to tell each individual application to redisplay somewhere else, but I don't know if that's possible, either....

I did a search for "hijack X session" on Google and read a few security alerts for Mandrake that prevent such things. What I'm wondering is if there's a way to skirt that. I don't want to use such words as "hijack" because when it gets down to it, I have the root password. 8)

Any ideas? I'll be searching online for this, so if I get anything in the meantime, I'll post it here.

Andrewski: I don't think this is really possible, VNC is your best answer, here's why I think that:

To redirect the X server you have to change the IP to where it is being sent. I don't know anyway of telling the X server to change which IP it's sending to _while it's still running_. what VNC does is just interact with the current X session and sort of copy what's going in...it's like a layer.

of course, i could be wrong :) but basically taking the X session and sending it to a different IP requires an interrupt in the session, which would cause X to just die...I think...

VNC is slow compared to XDMCP. That's why I don't want to use it. But alright, if you say so (as long as you're right :P )... is there a way to redirect the display per-application? Like, if I have a Gaim session running, is it possible to redirect its display here so I can see any IMs that I received? :)

Andrewski: not AFAIK, but you should check out the gaim-remote program that's included with gaim (0.60 and above). not sure what it can do...never played with it...it's command line based.

AFAIK = "As Far As I Know"

A large percentage of programs will allow you to use -display

Here is an example, without using -display:

terry@timestorm: /home/terry

13:25:42 $ at now +1 min

warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh

at> xmessage "Testing"          

at> <EOT>

job 28 at 2003-07-17 13:26

Gives me this error email:

To: terry@timestorm.ross.com

Subject: Output from your job 28

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:26:22 -0700 (PDT)

Error: Can't open display:

----------------

Adding -display :0

13:26:23 $ at now +1 min

warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh

at> xmessage "Testing" -display :0

at> <EOT>

job 29 at 2003-07-17 13:28

gives me:

xmessage.jpg

the problem is qnr, he wants to have his session switch from his current display (at his home system) to a new display (on a remote system) without starting the program over. he wants it to just switch where it's being displayed at and continue running as if he was at home

andrewski: i know you want things other than gaim, but I don't know how to make them switch displays without restarting the program

Granted, his preferred way is to redirect, but he did ask if there was a way to change the display on a per-application basis. It might not be redirection (which might be possible, for all I know), but it wouldn't take more than a second to exit Gaim, and then restart it with gaim -display x.x.x.x:0, if he's not at display y.y.y.y:0 anyway.

qnr: but then any IMs he may have had on his original screen would disappear. he wants to see them. it's not that restarting it takes long, it's that he wants to have things continue in the exact same state they are in.

That works for bringing up individual applications locally, but what I'm trying to do is to "redirect" the existing X session (and all of its programs) from my remote computer to the terminal where I'm sitting.

and as you can see in that quote he already has found a way to bring the programs up locally.

VNC is slow compared to XDMCP.
Are you running on a LAN? I would love to run X sessions instead of VNC, but it's way too slow over my DSL line. Shouldn't 40 KBPS upload be enough?

As far as I know, only VNC allows you to resume sessions between computers... I wish that X11 could do it too :-)

--Andrew

You're right, it has been a while since I read the original question, and I was responding to the per-application request only. I don't see any indication that he has done an xhost +, which would be necessary for transmissions of displays.

Are you running on a LAN? I would love to run X sessions instead of VNC, but it's way too slow over my DSL line. Shouldn't 40 KBPS upload be enough?
Maybe, but it's always been ridiculously slow for me. I used to use Remote Desktop in WinXP and I must say, it was a pretty good protocol. Maybe there are settings in VNC that I just haven't configured to work. But I'm surprised that for you, X is slower than VNC; it's the opposite in my case.

I don't see any indication that he has done an xhost +, which would be necessary for transmissions of displays.
I didn't mention it here, but I had to do that to get even your solution to work.

I use vnc from my mdk8.2 headless server and check the output on my 9.1 machine(s) (sometimes on my girlfriends machine).

Before, when I was still into the evil world of MS, I sometimes checked it with the windows vnc client.

Don't know why, but it is terribly slow. Linux to linux works like a beauty though.

I even once did it from a friends place onto my server, 8KB upload of which 4 was used for p2p (ed2k) --- that was slow, but doable.

With the full 8KB it's quite okay. Normally on my LAN it uses ~20KB.

And it works fine...