KDE 4.1 - a KDE that suits you?

spinynorman

When KDE 4.0 was released, it was targeted at specific users and developers - it wasn’t a release for everyone, especially because KDE 3.5 was (and still is) a strong and still maintained desktop. However, due to communication problems, misunderstandings and also due to some very curious users who didn’t read the release notes, almost everyone gave KDE 4.0 a try, and many people complained that specific features they depended on were missing.

So to make it easier for the users to decide in advance if the release fits their needs, the KDE team has created a special page highlighting the pros and cons of KDE 4.1, or better said, the changes and the still missing features in comparison to KDE 3.5/KDE 4.0.

More at /home/liquidat.

no kaffeine, no amarok, no preview in the open file dialogue, folder view....nope kde 4.1 won't be my thing :sad:

Because of the modular design of Plasma, a new panel could be quite easily written with autohide functionality.

why didn't they if it was so easy to do?

why didn't they if it was so easy to do?
When doing a huge project like KDE, this question can be a killer. "If it's so easy, why don't we do it?" - the problem is, for each given portion of a project, there are about a million things that "are so easy, why don't we do it?" This can cause project creep, growing the requirements of the project big time. Given, auto-hide is one of those functionalities you would think would be there, but nonetheless they chose not to do it (maybe they had more important things to focus on?) for some reason. If it's possible to do it, I wouldn't get too concerned.

The KDE devs need to realise that the Linux 'mascot' is a penguin, not a lemming. Even if the majority of them want to jump off of this KDE4 cliff, there must be somebody in there that can see how ill advised it is. We need somebody to ditch this unworkable nonsense and start work on KDE 3.6 asap.

FORK OFF!!

That is what I say :lol2: :lol2:

I still believe they can do it but only 4.2 or 4.3 will be what we would have expected 4.0, ie a successor to 3.5.x, to be.

The framework (phonon, plasma, nepomuk etc) looks very promissing and way better than any desktop around but the implentation still is pretty sucky....

I'm running the last KDE 4.1 snapshot, and guess what: Amarok is working, kmplayer too (never bothered about kaffeine), streaming in Konqueror is working (using gecko-mediaplayer), krusader 2 is working, most things are pretty fine.

The only problem is that after waiting a long time for it, I got addicted to XFCE4! :P

Ummm, and no, there won't be any KDE 3.6... sorry.

Edited by scarecrow

I am running XFCE on cooker as well. I started out with KDE4 but it was a disaster, and even when it does work properly as it tends to in Suse 11, I still hate it. I tried dropping 3.5.9 onto the installation and that was OK until I tried to remove KDE4 (to prevent the hundreds of updates that it generates) this seemed to stuff 3.5.9 as well. I then turned to Gnome :shocking: - that lasted all of 5 minutes because it drives me nuts, and finally I dropped XFCE onto the Gnome install and barring one or two glitches that you would expect with testing distros it works beautifully.

I have thought long and hard about what I would do if there were only two choices - KDE4 and Gnome, I think the answer is that I would have to put up with Gnome. It does everything the opposite way to what I want and thus annoys the hell out of me, but at least it is not bad to look at, whereas KDE4 :puke:

Ummm, and no, there won't be any KDE 3.6... sorry.
:cry:

krusader 2 is working,

Where on earth have you got Krusader2 from scarecrow? I am desperate to get hold of it for Cooker - Krusader is the first addition I make to every Linux distro that goes onto my computer, but I just can't find it.

I have 14 sources active in sources.list but it doesn't appear when I search for it, and I have tried the Krusader download site but it only goes up to 1.9 and I don't think that runs on Cooker.

Please let me into the secret!! Thunar is OK I suppose but every file manager in the world pales to insignificance when compared to Krusader - I gotta have it!!

Where on earth have you got Krusader2 from scarecrow?

I don't use Mandriva, and I compiled it using the AUR build package of Archlinux rather easily.

A couple of hours ago I upgraded to KDE 4.1 final, and I had some mild trouble with it (wouldn't work, and for recompiling the AUR package needed a couple of mods - but they were quite easy to set).

Under Mandriva, you can compile it using the sources from krusader.org. You will need the devel packages of kdelibs4, kdebase4-runtime, cmake-2.6 and automoc4. With all of them installed, compiling it shouldn't be that hard (and certainly faster than the compilation of krusader 1.X, which I've done in the past dozens of times). Or you can wait a bit, once KDE 4.1 is here someone will offer an RPM of it sooner rather than later.

Regards.

Edited by scarecrow

Thanks for that reply scarecrow, I thought I was missing something vital there. I'll wait for the rpm.

I know I am a coward (or perhaps I know my own limitations?)

Edit. In fact I just downloaded Krusader 2.0 beta and tried to install it on Cooker. As expected it failed, complaining there was something wrong with 'cmake'. I won't bore you with the details I'll just wait for the rpm I guess, but I can't tell you how much I miss it.

Edited by viking777

Just downloaded and installed the mdv2009- kde4.1 beta livecd. All I can say is that I hope and pray that kde 3.5.9 will also be available in mdv2009 as an alternative. KDE 4.1 looks nice and shows promise but it is not any where near ready for day-to-day use. I know this is a beta release, but it is apparent to me after trying both mandriva's and suse's livecds that kde4.1 is still at a beta level and won't be ready for prime time for at least another year. The best that can be said is that it is much better than kde4.0 which was totally unusable. Nonetheless, I found 4.1 nonintuitive, subject to random lockups too numerous to mention, feature bereft and just plain frustrating. I'm sure some of these problems will get ironed out before final release, but the unfinished nature of kde 4.1 is readily apparent to anyone and has no place as a default desktop on any distro.

And what's the deal with that silly bar that appears next to a plasmoid every time you put the mouse cursor on one? Just don't get that at all; that should only come up with a right mouse click. That's just a style point and people can differ on that issue. In general, the look of kde4.1 is beautiful. The lack of stability, the current reduced level of configurability, and the reduced number of stable applications available for kde 4.1 are its main issues.