Switching desktop with a script

Have tried both of your suggestions and each does the trick. Many thanks. :thumbs:

Now, with that problem solved, I have just a niggle; when I start an app from a script - e.g. gnumeric - a series of messages appears (errors?) in the konsole running the script, which I would like to suppress. I've tried using '>' but bash ignores that. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edited by satelliteuser083

Have tried both of your suggestions and each does the trick. Many thanks. :thumbs:

Now, with that problem solved, I have just a niggle; when I start an app from a script - e.g. gnumeric - a series of messages appears (errors?) in the konsole running the script, which I would like to suppress. I've tried using '>' but bash ignores that. Any ideas? Thanks.

Try using the &.

Was a bit confused, nexus, 'cos substituting '>' with '&' didn't work. However, I found the following site, where all became clear (at least, the bit about stderr did B) )

http://www.cpqlinux.com/redirect.html

Now, using 'gnumeric filename 2>err.txt', there's no error-output. Thanks. :thumbs:

Was a bit confused, nexus, 'cos substituting '>' with '&' didn't work. However, I found the following site, where all became clear (at least, the bit about stderr did B) )

http://www.cpqlinux.com/redirect.html

Now, using 'gnumeric filename 2>err.txt', there's no error-output. Thanks. :thumbs:

I just thought backgrounding it would surpress any console output. Glad you've got it sorted. :) If you don't need the err.txt file would it not be better to pipe the output to /dev/null? Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}

Yes, you're correct, of course; '2>/dev/null' works well. Thanks. :D

And, following on with this topic, I've come up against another problem. I want to start two apps in different workspaces but the workspace-selection is completed much faster than the app start-up, the result being that they both end up in the same (second) workspace. My script looks like this:

wmctrl -s2
gnumeric filename1 &
wmctrl -s3
kpdf filename2 &

Does anyone know of a way of delaying the execution of 'wmctrl -s3' until gnumeric has completed start-up (or any other way of ensuring that the script acts as desired)? Thanks.

When I perform the following command in a konsole, it works:

[lawrence@localhost ~]$ dcop kwin KWinInterface currentDesktop

The same thing in a script, in an attempt to assign this value to a variable

curws=dcop kwin KWinInterface currentDesktop

fails, with the message

kwin: Unexpected argument 'KWinInterface'

I assume that this is a basic script-syntax problem, but I can't see it. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, spinynorman, that worked well; just knew it was syntax. ;)

And, pmpatrick, 'wait' doesn't do quite what I want; I think that it does wait, but right up until gnumeric is terminated and not (as I want) until the latter is up and running, i.e ready to accept input. I'm now playing with 'sleep'; doesn't work just yet but will report when/if it does.

Many thanks to you both. :thumbs: :thumbs:

I'm not at my linux box at the moment, but you might try something similar to this:

wmctrl -s2
gnumeric filename1 &
while [ $(wmctrl -l | grep gnumeric) -eq '' ]
do
sleep
done
wmctrl -s3
kpdf filename2 &

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

It is indeed not available in urpmi, but it is really easy and fast to compile. I suggest you install "checkinstall" first, then install wmctl by replacing the "make install" command with the "checkinstall" command: this will auto-create a RPM for you :)

Yves.