2.6 kernel series -- first test kernel out!

aRTee

Have a look here:

http://linuxtoday.com/developer/2003071400826NWKNDV

Ok,

the naming should be familiar - it's the same deal as with 2.4.0. 

One difference is that while 2.4.0 took about 7 months from the pre1 to the final release, I hope (and believe) that we have fewer issues facing us in the current 2.6.0. But very obviously there are going to be a few test-releases before the real thing. 

The point of the test versions is to make more people realize that they need testing and get some straggling developers realizing that it's too late to worry about the next big feature. I'm hoping that Linux vendors will start offering the test kernels as installation alternatives, and do things like make upgrade internal machines, so that when the real 2.6.0 does happen, we're all set. 

Linus

Note Linus' request:

I'm hoping that Linux vendors will start offering the test kernels as installation alternatives,

So give it a try!

And maybe Mandrake will offer a 2.6 test kernel in 9.2, I for sure will vote for it on the club rpm request list.

I tested 2.5.74 last week for my scanner problem I wasn't able to boot at all. I probably miss something in the config since things are placed in a different manner. Hope you guys good luck with it! (well me too since I'll try it out again tonight :twisted:

MOttS

Guest JaseP

I'm looking forward to the 2.6 kernel,...

Pre-emptive multi-threading etc.,... It's just going to be better all around. Plus it's more likely to support the native features of more modern boards and processors.

I'm hoping that 2.6 is the MAIN kernel in Mandrake's next release, with 2.4 for compatibility back-up.

OooooOOooo aru got a P4.....go get'em man. Can't use the old sys for excuses anymore heh?

hehehehe! yea, this stuff flies!! ---> :D <--- My face during all this weekend

the only problem is this damn i845G/GL audio card that doesn't work at all with linux (seems it is(/will be) supported on 2.6 series :?

well I'm scheduling the download right now, tomorrow I'll be able to report some stuff about the new testing kernel

• 2 weeks later...

anyone get this to work yet? Since a new ML9.1 install after using RH9, I'm back to this prob;

Swap not being flushed

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...highlight=flush

(on a new MoBo/cpu/ram I might add)

which is resolved with a vanilla kernel with the ac-patch applied but if I'm going to do it again I figured, "heh, why not the 2.6?" but if no one has been successful I don't think I'll bother. :wink:

aru? any new thoughts? have you tried? anyone? Cuz....

I CAN'T GET ENOUGH SPEED!!!!! :lol: :twisted:

[edited to add ML9.1 above]

EXCELLENT!!!!  :D 

I'll be testing it tonight with my brand new P4

garu's power is not multiplied. fear ye gentoo heathens, the enlightened garu is out to prove your gentoo is no match for his P4 optimized slackware installation. :twisted:

but kidding aside, i thought garu would go for AMD instead of Intel. :?

ciao!

anyone get this to work yet? Since a new ML9.1 install after using RH9, I'm back to this prob;

Swap not being flushed

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...highlight=flush

(on a new MoBo/cpu/ram I might add)

which is resolved with a vanilla kernel with the ac-patch applied but if I'm going to do it again I figured, "heh, why not the 2.6?" but if no one has been successful I don't think I'll bother. :wink:

aru? any new thoughts? have you tried? anyone? Cuz....

I CAN'T GET ENOUGH SPEED!!!!! :lol:  :twisted:

[edited to add ML9.1 above]

Haven't had a chance again, I started to but then I had to sleep. :wink:

Here is a decent tutoral from Madpenguin.

http://www.madpenguin.org/article.php?sid=...7&mode=&order=0

Basically all you need to do anymore with a 2.6 kernel is the following:

#> ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test1 /usr/src/linux

#> make mrproper

#> make clean

#> make xconfig

#> make bzImage

#> make modules

#> make modules_install

#> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz

#> cp System.map /boot

#> cp .config /boot/config

#> /sbin/lilo

If your using GRUB, substitue that last step.

Now that your kernel parameters are all set, it's time to move on with the rest of the compilation process. The next step is to build the kernel.... what? I know that made you stop and think.... aren't we supposed to 'make dep'? Nope. With the inception of the 2.6 series kernel, there is no need for the make dep command anymore. You skip that step entirely and move on to the kernel image and modules...

You will probably need an updated MODUTILS package too.