6 week newbie, 6 problems left.

Guest turi

Using Mandrake 9.1/1.7Ghz/40GB/512MB

I can't find a forum to be more like "I have so many odd problems". Anyways,

I've just switched from Windows98 a few weeks ago to Mandrake 9.1 and have ironed out most of the wrinkles but I'm left with the following problems that I'm aware of. I can post more details about any or all of the problems below as required.

I'm in a position to being able to change a community of users here in my town to go from Windows to Linux. But I need to show them that my system first works flawlessly. It has, but the more I do on it, the more I find that needs configuration. I have exasuted my time looking everywhere for this information, so I land here and hope that anyone out there may be able to help me with any of these. Thanks.

Are you ready for this?

1. Kopete freezes on me whenever I go to browse (open the dialogue window) to send a file to someone or when someone sends me a file (and I want to specify the location of where I want it to go). So I have to kill it and relogin. It has never worked for me. Anyone come across this?

2. OpenOffice opened ok. When my system crashed last week, I re-installed Mandrake and it now stays at the splashscreen for almost 3 minutes. Then it opens and acts normal. This is with the calc or the word. Another little thing is previewing wav files in the gallery. It won't do it.

3. Using K3b, anyone having problems (not creating or starting) but adding to a multisession cd? I have to erase my cdrw everytime I want to write to it, I can't add. It gives me the following error:

cdrdao

-----------------------

Cdrdao version 1.1.7 - © Andreas Mueller <andreas@daneb.de>

SCSI interface library - © Joerg Schilling

Paranoia DAE library - © Monty

Check http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html#dt for current driver tables.

WARNING: Track 1: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.

Using libscg version 'andreas-0.5-UNIXWARE_Patch'

0,0,0: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8320B Rev: 1.04

Using driver: Generic SCSI-3/MMC (raw writing) - Version 2.0 (options 0x0000)

ERROR: This driver does not support multi session discs.

Now, if I do backups saving to cd, it will append. So I know it work. I can burn fine the first time starting a session, but not continuing, this is the same with normal cdr's.

4. Mandrake says the following:

Vendor: ?ViewQuest Technologies, Inc.

Description: ?Intel Pro Share WebCam

Port: ?libusb:001:002

It's under the scanner category in the hardware section of the control center. But when I go to configure it it tells me: "Select a scanner model (Detected model: Viewquest Technologies, Inc. Intel Pro Share WebCam, Port: libusb:001:002)

Of course, all of them (or most of them) are flatbed scanners. No Intel, no ViewQuest. There is a "Intel Pro Share WebCam" under the "Unknown/Others" part of the hardware list saying:

Vendor: ?ViewQuest Technologies, Inc.

Bus: ?USB

Description: ?Intel Pro Share WebCam

Module: ?unknown

Media class: ?

5. How do I change Konqueror to use Mplayer and not the

Kaboodle(because it's the only one I know that works to view mov files from the internet) so that when I go to a site (http://www.apple.com/trailers), it will play for me, imbedded or not in the page. Or maybe tell me how I can get it to just work with any program or setting. I rather just watch it on the webpage not have to download each one.

6. Using Kooka, I scan a page and when i go to do the ocr thing, it asks for a "Path to 'gocr' binary". Can't fin "gocr" anywhere on my hard drive. Neither if I download the RPM and install it. right from the GOCR page. Anyone had trouble like this? So I can hit "Start OCR" but it sits there thinking forever.

Any help is much appreciated!!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the board! :)

Here's the easy one:

5. How do I change Konqueror to use Mplayer and not the

Kaboodle(because it's the only one I know that works to view mov files from the internet) so that when I go to a site (http://www.apple.com/trailers), it will play for me, imbedded or not in the page. Or maybe tell me how I can get it to just work with any program or setting. I rather just watch it on the webpage not have to download each one.

Open Konqueror and go to SETTINGS--CONFIGURE KONQUEROR then pick FILE ASSOCIATIONS and the VIDEO format you want, then select the program you want to open it, click APPLY and OK and you should be good to go.

3. Using K3b, anyone having problems (not creating or starting) but adding to a multisession cd? I have to erase my cdrw everytime I want to write to it, I can't add. It gives me the following error:

cdrdao

-----------------------

Cdrdao version 1.1.7 - © Andreas Mueller <andreas@daneb.de>

SCSI interface library - © Joerg Schilling

Paranoia DAE library - © Monty

Check http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html#dt for current driver tables.

WARNING: Track 1: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.

Using libscg version 'andreas-0.5-UNIXWARE_Patch'

0,0,0: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8320B Rev: 1.04

Using driver: Generic SCSI-3/MMC (raw writing) - Version 2.0 (options 0x0000)

ERROR: This driver does not support multi session discs.

Now, if I do backups saving to cd, it will append. So I know it work. I can burn fine the first time starting a session, but not continuing, this is the same with normal cdr's.

Have you tried going into the Settings>Configure k3b Then click the 'Advanced' tab under the 'Writing' selection and select 'Manual Writing apllication selection' and choose a different writing application like mkisofs or cdrecord? Looks like it is using cdrdao, which doesn't support multiple sessions.

From http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Howto/CD-W...ng-HOWTO-4.html

4.18 How to create a multi-session CD?

First of all, the image for a multi-session CD must be formatted using the ISO-9660 filesystem using RockRidge-extensions. And you must use the option -multi for cdrecord as long as you want to add further sessions. So at least for the first session, you must specify the option -multi.

Some CD-writers have no support for CD-ROM XA mode 2 or for session-at-once (SAO), so you need to specify the switch -data for cdrecord on the command line.

The images for the second and subsequent sessions are a little bit more complicated to generate. Mkisofs must know where the free space on the CD-R begins. That information can be gathered by using the option -msinfo on cdrecord (see example below).

shell> NEXT_TRACK=`cdrecord -msinfo dev=0,6,0`

shell> echo $NEXT_TRACK

shell> mkisofs -R -o cd_image2 -C $NEXT_TRACK -M /dev/scd5

private_collection/ 

For more information, please read the file README.multi, which is distributed with cdrecord.

Edit: So you may have to change the user parameters for cdrecord and add '-multi'. Settings>Configure k3b > Programs > click the 'user parameters' tab and then click the blank space underneath 'parameters' (make sure you are not clicking where it says 'cdrecord' but a space over to make sure you're lined up under parameters or it won't let you type anything there....you'll see your cursor if you hit it right) and add -multi there. Then Apply.

If you didn't use '-multi' for the first session it may not work later.

About OpenOffice:

1- you can turn off the splash screen, forgot how, somewhere in the config menu's

2- when your system crashed and you reinstalled, did you keep your home partition? There may be some crappy / broken config settings remaining.

Check for files/dir named something like .openoffice (make sure you turn on 'show hidden files' in your filebrowser, or on the terminal use 'ls -a' ) in your homedir, rename it to something else. Then retry.

Alternatively, create a new user and log in as that one, then try OOo and see if it runs properly again.

As an aside note: welcome aboard, and hope we can help you fix your remaining problems in the next couple of days.

As someone else hinted: in some cases (kopete?) you may have to resort to another program.

If OOo was running properly to your liking before, I wouldn't switch though, just get it running like it should.

As an aside note: welcome aboard, and hope we can help you fix your remaining problems in the next couple of days.

As someone else hinted: in some cases (kopete?) you may have to resort to another program.

Some alternates to Kopete for MSN are

AMSN, GAIM, KMERLIN, KMESS

I reccomend GAIM. Get the latest version off their website. THe only downside to it is the inability to send files (or at least in MSN).

James

Thanks for the responses.

1. If GAIM can't send files, then it's more useless than kopete. I have the feature in Kpete but I keep having that problem. I don't think I'll switch. It's just one thing, just bugs me that I can't send people pics so easily.

2. I'll try troubleshooting it as you suggested, aRTee. Login as someone else and see if it still does it, I've tried already getting rid of the hidden direcory ".openoffice". When the program has been opened once, it goes past the splashscreen and starts to freeze half-way opening a file. So the splashscreen won't be it.

3. cdrecord. Did as Steve suggested but no go yet. I can't see how you need to format a cd for multisession because a normal cdr would be useless after the format. Also, in windows you don't have to format a cdrw, only if you want to use it with the DirectCD or as drag and drop type windows way. I only get "two" options: default (cdrdao), cdrecord and cdrdao. I tried cdrrecord, but go the following:

-----------------------

scsidev: '0,0,0'

scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0

Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24

Cdrecord 2.0 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling

TOC Type: 3 = CD-ROM XA mode 2

Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'

Driveropts: 'burnfree'

atapi: 1

Device type : Removable CD-ROM

Version : 0

Response Format: 2

Capabilities :

Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST'

Identifikation : 'CD-RW GCE-8320B '

Revision : '1.04'

Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.

Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).

Driver flags : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE

Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R

Drive buf size : 8259328 = 8065 KB

FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB

Track 01: data 0 MB

Total size: 0 MB (00:04.48) = 336 sectors

Lout start: 1 MB (00:06/36) = 336 sectors

Current Secsize: 2048

ATIP info from disk:

Indicated writing power: 3

Reference speed: 6

Is not unrestricted

Is erasable

Disk sub type: High speed Rewritable (CAV) media (1)

ATIP start of lead in: -11679 (97:26/21)

ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)

1T speed low: 4 1T speed high: 10

2T speed low: 4 2T speed high: 0 (reserved val 6)

power mult factor: 1 5

recommended erase/write power: 5

A1 values: 24 1A D8

A2 values: 26 B2 4A

Disk type: Phase change

Manuf. index: 23

Manufacturer: SKC Co., Ltd.

Blocks total: 359849 Blocks current: 359849 Blocks remaining: 359513

Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 10 in real SAO mode for multi session.

Last chance to quit, starting real write in 2 seconds.

1 seconds.

0 seconds. Operation starts.

Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.

BURN-Free is ON.

Performing OPC...

Sending CUE sheet...

/usr/bin/cdrecord: CUE sheet not accepted. Retrying with minimum pregapsize = 1.

/usr/bin/cdrecord: Input/output error. send_cue_sheet: scsi sendcmd: no error

CDB: 5D 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00

Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 26 00 00 00

Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0

Sense Code: 0x26 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in parameter list) Fru 0x0

Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)

cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 200s

/usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot send CUE sheet.

/usr/bin/cdrecord: Could not write Lead-in.

Writing time: 14.734s

/usr/bin/cdrecord: fifo had 11 puts and 0 gets.

/usr/bin/cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

BURN-Free was never needed.

mkisofs

-----------------------

Total translation table size: 0

Total rockridge attributes bytes: 2163

Total directory bytes: 4096

Path table size(bytes): 38

Max brk space used 5000

336 extents written (0 Mb)

5. I tried what you suggested, kmack, but it was already set to Mplayer for all video files. Now when I go to the web page, it says that no quicktime extension was found and to download one, but of course there is none for linux. So I don't know where to go from here. I'm worse than I was before. I guess you can't start Mplayer embedded? I was expecting clicking on the link and it starting MPlayer for me and showing it tlo me.

I still haven't figured out the rest of my problems. I did almost have another last night. I couldn't watch a movie a rented on DVD! Took me almost 9 hours but I got it working, needless to say, it's 5:58am and I have to work in one hour with no sleep. But it was worth it...I think. (yawn)

I had to download the open office english pack to get my Open Office to work. For some reason my disks only had the Catalan version on it and it was a broken install....

I found somewhere that these two pieces of the puzzle were missing:

OpenOffice.org-help-en-1.0.2-7mdk.i586.rpm

OpenOffice.org-l10n-en-1.0.2-7mdk.i586.rpm

Search for them on rpmfind.net and try installing them...

Sorry no advice on your other problems, good luck though... ( you won´t need it though as someone here will be able to help you)

Hi turi,

1. Since april when I first installed ML 9.1 I was trying to burn a multisession cdrw or cdr - no success. Searching all forums and boards and google and stuff, finding hundreds of questions but no answers - they are ending up with: use the command line # cdrecord --äöü+# uö -[op} or something like this.

2. I installed different cd burn programs, installed the k3b 0.9something rpm from texstar (ending up with terribly freezing my system), supermount off and on - different error's are showing up like yours.

3. I thought, ok I give up. I have to clean the cdrw medium first and then write it. Takes time, but that can do it.

4. I read your posting. Gave it another try. And now it works. Here is what I did so far.

--------------------------------------------

MDK 9.1, k3b: the version which came with the install cd's. Also installed: cdrecord, cdrdao, mkisofs, all versions from the install cd. Supermount: on. fstab in 'orginal' condition.

k3b setup: I didn't change anything manually. My cd writer got detected, my dvd drive too. Three programs. I just said: go ahead. Let kb3 write to fstab. Save.

Started k3b as user. Went into settings: I changed the option to 'manually choose the program' (this is a bad translation, your option has a different wording I guess). I changed the write speed of my cdrw drive to 24, because I know that it can handle it. I changed also the default cd medium to size 700 MB, because I use these.

First session: A cdrw medium into the drive - to be sure I first cleaned it. Fast clean. Then I started a new data project. Added a 5 MB file. Hit on 'burn'. On the first tab window I disabled DAO - Disk at once and On-the-fly. Now it will write first an image to a /tmp dir.

The speed I had set to '4' - that's what the cdrw medium could do.

Choose as program to be used 'cdrecord' - that will disable 'standard' (cdrdao ?).

On the tab 'advanced' choose: start multisession.

Hit burn. Close k3b.

Second session. Re-insert the cdrw medium into the drive. Start k3b. Start a new data project. Add files. When at the burn menu choose manually the same settings as in session one - one difference: 'go on with multisession' (different wording in your English version) is now the option. Burn.

This worked for me. The first time. I could not believe it. This was the most frustrating challenge in Linux. I would like to thank you for your questions.

--anna ( i am at work now, win2000, maybe I have to edit this posting due to missing steps ...) And sorry for my English ..

Thank you, anna! It worked! Just amazing. Just as you said. When you mentioned the Disk-at-once. I knew that was it. Because that's a one time burn feature, closes evertyhing. So I tried it all again but left on-the-fly, and it worked still. So the only thing we have to disable is the DAO. Saved user defaults. Now it works great.

Just realized something though, shouldn't I be able to delete files of from the cd? even in a non-re-writable(even though here it actually still exists, just that it modifies it the sessions so that it looks like it's not there)? I quickly tried to do this but no luck. (Import session, right-click on file, delete feature greyed out).

Also, cd volume, where do I go to see what it's called if someone handed me a burned cd? I also want to check if it keeps the label name I give it when I burn a cd.

As for the last two above anna's, I haven't tried in detail yet. Will soon.

with MSN clones I tried amsn, if your used to MSN then you will fit right in. Not the best stabilty wise but looks the same down to the sounds. Recently I have moved over to KMess which has a great interface and some trick features. I have not tried file transfers with KMess but amsn worked fine.

Glad that it works for you too :D

I was not sure about the DAO thing - hey thanks for the clarification.

As to deleting files.

Using a cdrw like a 1.44 disk - I am not sure but I thought that you would need UDF packet writing (or something like this). In Nero that would be a separate software like InCD. Never tried it. Is there a Linux solution?

Good Luck!

RW disks: you can not delete one file at a time. you have to format the disk and start again.

R disks: you can never remove files once they've been burned.

atleast, that's my understanding.