6 week newbie, 6 problems left.

Guest turi

Yes I'm still following this thread.

Erasing (some) files from multisession cdrw,.. I don't know, never done that. I'd also advice against it, cd-rw doesn't have good defect management, even in UDF packet writing. In mount-rainier/easywrite, maybe. But that's not in k3b or kernel 2.4.21pre4 (the mdk 9.1 kernel) anyway.

On ocr: yeah, it sucks. I never really needed it, but I did try gocr and I agree: here's a definite gap in FLOSS.

Movies in Konqueror: don't know, did you try with mozilla or are you really set on konq? Open a new thread on that.

Usb videocam: remember, it's the shortcoming of the manufacturer if there are no drivers...

Not that that helps now you've already bought it though...

But that one is not going to get solved anytime soon, unfortunately. See if you can swap with someone who's still using that other os...

Epson front panel buttons: hey, didn't think about mine, but true: they don't work. Hmm, have to add that to the (very short) list of things that don't work under linux in my config.

Anyway, enjoy the weekend too!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weekend was awesome.

So I won't worry about deleting multisession files.

Also, I've never seen OCR work properly unless you paide good money for it and so I won't worry about that either. Just was wondering if someone new of a good free ocr out there.

I will start a new thrad on the quicktime konqueror thing because I'm really set on that browser.

The USB camera I got for free so no big deal. Just that it works with Win98 and not my great OS, grrr. Know of a good site that has all the drivers for linux for the supported one? Then I can go buy one that is on that list and get it to work for me.

If anyone ever solves the Epson button thing, please tell me!!! I'd like to use them again.

So like all things, the difficulties are in the change. It's easy for me to get upset with linux after I have used Windows since it came out...because I can fix or deal with Windows problems while linux problems are new to me. Not to say that Linux has problems, very stable and versatile, but that I'm a Windows user trying to do windows things on Linux. Kind of like what I tried doing with my front wheel car today. I need a 4X4 to go on those offroads. Anyways, slightly off topichere. Just a revelation I had.

I use gaim..I recieved files with it, not problems.....find it more userfriendly than messenger since it uses tabs.....I've not send files yet, since I' to stubborn to open the ports...yeah, yeah they're closed else.....

amsn indeed looks like msn....but I would also recommend you gaim...but you can see for yourself ofcourse :)...

Epson buttons: don't know, don't care, but you may email epson about it; they are quite good in supporting linux (they made/ported their own linux scanner tool plus driver, iscan)...

On ocr: the windows programs you get with the scanner are quite decent at times; lots better than gocr; maybe you can use those with wine?

Camera: check http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/

I have the top philips cam, be sure to pick one where it's not mentioned that they came out with newer versions that are unsupported.

Anyway, the cam worked upon plugin, got a gnomemeeting icon on the desktop.

I also use SDLcam (urpmi SDLcam) to take snapshots with it.

BTW most decent webcams are vga res (640x480) but some are advertised as 1280x960 snapshot mode,... don't believe the hype, it's interpolated. The gimp can do that too...

You do need some extra driver for philips webcams to have 640x480 (compression algorithm is proprietary, and needed to pass all data on usb1 bus), check my site for install hints.

Anyway, hang in there, you're doing great:

I will start a new thrad on the quicktime konqueror thing because I'm really set on that browser.

That's really the right way, don't switch to another program if something is not working LIKE IT SHOULD! but fix things.

Your mentality will get you far in linux, even though right now you have to cope with a very steep learning curve. From your last posts I gather that you have already learnt a lot! I hope that you will soon find that plateau in the learning curve where you can use your system 100% instead of spending/wasting time to find out how to this or that..

Ok. I e-mailed Epson about the button issue. Hopefully they will get back to me on it.

I'm trying to stay away from Widows, hence, Wine. I really, would like to have a 100% linux mahcine. I'll go as far as windows dlls for quicktime say, but no more. So if gocr is the best linux has, just wanted to know.

I read lots on that webcam page, however, nothing for my webcam. I think I may not be able to get it working. Unless there is a generic driver. Know if thast could work? Anyways, I either want to be convinced that it won't work ever or that I have a chance, so if I can run a utility for compatible drivers or something, I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.

Ps. "Xsane /dev/usb/scanner0" appeared on my desktop. And I can't get rid of it even as root (it re-appears at next login). Argggg. Any ideas?

On the xsane icon appearing: unplug the scanner, it should go away. Saves power too. ;)

Other than that, I don't know, maybe something in KDE or so; but actually I like having that as soon as I plug the scanner into the mains power...

BTW Let me know if Epson replies something useful!

You may want to ask them for some ocr linux software while you're at it..

The webcam: maybe best just get a supported one, see if you can swap with someone..

Shoot, I dleeted the e-mail they sent back to me. They say that the only thing they did was make the frontend for epson scanners. And they suggested a sight for me to check out but that that's all they are doing with Linux. The site sucked. But at least they answered back to me!

-----------

Never thought about the power issue with the scanner plugged in. Can't be much. I like having no icons on my desktop. I'm a control freak in that way. So if you mfind out how to remove a dynamic icon, tell me. The bug i KDE 3.1.2 with dynamic links might be my answer! :D

• 1 month later...