Computer Freezes Up After Sitting Idle

dnr01

Does anyone have the answer to why the computer locks up after the desktop has been open for several hours. I am running Mandriva 2008.1. I have googled this and seen that many people have had the same or similar problems and I've tried the suggestions with no success. I thought it was a buffer overload of some kind but I have ruled that out as an option. Any help would be appreciated. By the way, I always have some apps running when it crashes. I don't know if it will freeze up when ther are no apps running.

Thanks

I had this happen to me before due to an inadequate power supply. I replaced it with a better quality one and the problem went away.

I have also heard of this happening due to overheating, but if that were the case you would most likely get some artifacting on the screen.

Please also check the /var/log/messages file if there is any hint as to why the system freezes. Also, if you have another desktop/windowmanager installed (like Gnome, XFCE, IceWM), check if the system freezes if you use one of these alternatives. I run 2008.1 with Gnome and never experienced any freezes, even when the system has been running non-stop for 14 + hours.

Thanks for the info guys. I will try the suggestions. Right now the power supply replacement is too much of a "radical surger" for me but I will keep it in mind. I wish I had a temperature monitor on the processor and I could get a nice little superkaramba applet to watch that. I have a dell computer, dual core that is fairly new so I hope the power supply is still good. I will look into the logs and see if there is any info in there and I wll try Gnome. I am using KDE right now and I closed all apps and the copuutor never frooze at atll. There must be a bug in KDE. I am hesitant to go to KDE 4 as it hasn't been out that long and there are not as many apps to run on it. I like KDE but that is probably because I am used to it. Anyway, thanks again for the advice and I will use it wisely

Later

Edited by dnr01

I wish I had a temperature monitor on the processor and I could get a nice little superkaramba applet to watch that.

Using your gui package manager or urpmi, install lm-sensors and ksensors or superkaramba. Then as root run

sensors-detect

and follow the instructions. Then open ksensors or superkaramba and set it up.

When you open the terminal, e.g.. konsole, you will need to do the sensors-detect routine as root so you need to type in su and then your password of course.

Cheers. John.

And by the way, ..........A very warm welcome to MUB. JB.

Edited by AussieJohn