DVD playing issues now

Dad

Howdy folks!

I just got in the mail today some MXC and Three Stooges DVDs brand new from Amazon. I only have Mplayer installed because Totem, Lindvd, Kaffeine and whatever the rest are won't run on my laptop.

The three stooges won't do anything at all, the MXC player with the wrong audio and starts spewing errors after a minute and slows down. I'm guessing there must be something new with decryption?

I also read there maybe some issue with compiz Its installed but I don't see it running anywhere. Its not in the startup menu either.

Mandriva 2008 maybe .1 not sure.

Any ideas?

Yes its installed. I have been playing DVDs that needed it, until today when I got the new DVDs.

Some other info, I have a cheap VIA video in this laptop, Mplayer is using x11. Totem, Xine, Kaffeine will crash when I launch them. Then I have to log back in. Mplayer may be a different problem than Totem, Xine, Kaffeine. I suppose something maybe out of date, codecs or libdvdcss?

Hello David.

Thanks for reminding us all about the dual layer aspect. It is easily overlooked. Fortunately both of my DVD Drives (1 IDE and 1 SATA) are multi layer burners and multi layer readers.

Cheers. John.

I got it to work and It was stupid! I found if I clicked on the arrow to advance to the next title it would play from the beginning. I had to keep the screens small or the audio would not be in sync with the video. The MXC DVD I had to keep the screen around 3 inches square, or the sound would unsync then a few minutes it start skipping and an error about too many video packets would pop up.

I tried to find the VLC and couldn't. I went to their site and follow links all over and never found a download link. I'll have to search again so time when I'm bored.

Mplayer is surely the lighter, and arguably the most versatile video player, so personally I wouldn't bother too much about vlc.

What it is missed by mplayer is the ability to display the dvd menus. To get that, you will need the last mplayer version specially patched to use the latest svn version of libdvdread and libdvdnav. However, I think most people can live without dvd menus.