Mouse for Mandriva 2006 [solved]

rogerh

Hello,

This will hopefully be an easy one.... My old mouse is dying, and I would like to replace it on my Mandriva 2006 without a lot of fuss. I am really hoping not to substantially alter my system for want of a mouse!!

The dying mouse is a 2 button with scroll wheel 'Microsoft' mouse plugging into the PS2 port. I couldn't find any info on the Mandriva 2006 hardware compatibility on mice, so I found a positive linux review (5 star) on the Logitech Optical mouse. I got a Logitech Optical mouse (not cordless) with a USB to PS2 adapter, put it in, rebooted, and of course nothing. My hardware mouse setting reads something like 'any USB or PS2 mouse', and I can change that to a specific PS2 selection if that would resolve things. Of course my system has only 2 USB ports, both of which are in use.

Any help that anyone can provide would be appreciated. Alternate mouse that is plug and play compatible with 2006 (and PS2 compatible)?? Any other approach that would avoid me adding hardware, etc. would be prefered. If more USB is essential, would the mouse work even then? Returning the mouse and getting another would be no issue.

Thanks -- Roger

Do you know if most systems support multiple USB cards?? I'll get a 4 port, but given that things have gone USB I would also like to retain my current 2 port card (unless it will cause system confusion....), and I think I have at least 1 free slot now.

Thanks -- Roger