Compaq 900z

Guest Nitrox

Im newer to Linux, but starting to know my way around. I'm installing Mandrake 8.2 on my Compaq 900z. It freezes at the configuring PCMCIA cards prompt. Have to reboot.

Searched the net, found out Mandrake 8.2 has some sort of PCMCIA problem, a duplicate call in the config files :shock:

On to Mandrake 8.1, it passes the PCMCIA test, but then freezes up at the "Choose Security Level" stage. Now how the hell do you fix something like that??

If I could just get a clean boot, with/out the nonessential hardware being installed, I could start tweaking. But I cant even get a command prompt.

Since the 900z is getting cheaper every day, someone out there must be trying this....Has anyone EVER installed Mandrake on a Compaq Presario 900z? (BTW, it is listed in Linux-Laptop.net....1 dead link. :( )

Video: Mobility U1

Sound: Legacy, SoundMax

Modem: Conexant V92 MiniPCI

DVD: GDR8081N

Mouse: Synaptics Touchpad

NIC: Realtek 8139

Chip: AMD 1800, Ali 545 Chipset.

RAM: 512 MB.

Thanks for the quick answer.

No go. Mandrake 8.2 locks up, with a Perl warning: Falling back to the standard locale, then a bunch of gibberish. Shut down my laptop for awhile, and tried again. Same warning right after the accept the Terms of Agreement in text mode. Thought it might have to do with heat or something, but nope. Just bad programming, or too new hardware.

http://mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=2459

Re: ML 9.0 Problem with realtek 8139 on Shuttle SS51g (Score: 0)

by Anonymous on Wednesday, October 02 @ 01:58:23 PDT

Great !!

I had exactly the same problem as described in Cooker list on my brand new, shiny and tiny Shuttle SS51G (SIS651 FlexATX motherboard). The onboard Realtek 8139 ethernet card was recognized, the appropriate modules were loaded but the network could not be activated. This was my last showstopper.

The "noapic" trick fixes the problem.

Now I can move my main environment to 9.0.

Oh, and they spelled it wrong, it should be acpi.

Beyond the USB?

So far, we know that this problem affects ML 9.0 on some HP e-pc 40 machines, but there may be other systems on which the same scenario applies (that's why we want to get that feedback from you).

FInally, there is one more thing to consider: so far this problem has manifested itself as "USB doesn't work" in ML 9.0, but I did a little search on Google, and found out that problems with APIC can manifest in a different way too:

1. System freezing on boot, or at a later time

2. Instable system

3. other periferials (network cards, SCSI controllers...) not working.

4. System freezing when some new hardware piece is added to it.  

I'm definitively not an expert on this, but it looks like "noapic" is a first thing to try whenever a weird problem of the "simple periferias not working" or "why is this so instable now?" type occurs.

Gave up on Linux for the simple fact that there is no Video Driver for my Card yet, a ATI IGP 320m. (It identifies as a Mobility U1 - To all those that find this post 6 months from now and are looking for drivers.) The U1 stands for Unknown, as in unknown at the time of shipping. This is from at least 50 websites that I've read in the last 3 days.

It shipped in May 2002, so that means by May of next year there should be a half-*** driver floating around.