Grub Error [solved]

qualityguy

Here is the sequence

Running MS XP

Tried custom install of Mandriva Spring

Shrunk 1 large Windows partition to make room then made a /, swap and /home partition and installed Mandriva

Chose Ice desktop thinking this was the a good choice for my K7S5A and unchecked KDE and Genome

Everything loaded fine but on boot up did not work, Mandriva would not fully load

Went back reinstalled Mandriva a second time by first deleting my 3 Linux partition then re-creating them. This time I chose KDE

On boot up Grub appeared to work I could choose Mandriva, Mandriva safe mode and Windows ,etc

Problem was Mandriva starts but does not load fully, Windows starts but switches back to Mandriva

Om Mandriva I get a text display saying something like local host ,etc. I enter my username and password but nothing graphical happens

now when I try to reboot all I get is Grub error 15.

By the day before installing Mandriva I did run defrag and checkdisk

Can I salvage this install or get back to Windows?

Thanks

If you have a live cd that you are installing from then boot into that, start Mandriva Control Centre, select 'Boot' followed by 'Setup boot system' and follow through the wizard to reinstall grub.

Alternatives are 'Super Grub Disk' if you have a copy of that, or another install - and probably a lot more I haven't thought of or don't know about!

If you are not installing from livecd, there is also a cli way that you could do it using a livecd distro such as Mandriva One, Knoppix, etc.

You would need to boot to the livecd, mount your Mandriva / partition in a konsole like:

mkdir /mnt/mandriva
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/mandriva

After that, you would need to chroot into your Mandriva install:

chroot /mnt/mandriva /bin/bash

From there, you would be able to make any necessary modifications to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file, then reinstall grub to the mbr:

grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda

From there, grub should function again.

viking777's suggestion is probably the easier way to do it, but this way will also work; and as an added bonus you get to learn some additional commands that the average new user probably doesn't know (and probably doesn't have any use for :P )

No live CD but a Rescue disk. I choose it , choose to reinstall windows boot loader and presto Windows was back. From windows I deleted the Linux partitions, / , Swap and /home and I also re-sized my windows partition.

I reinstalled Mandriva and choose use free space and presto I was dual booting.