New to Linux Install Questions

Guest chronicinside

Guest chronicinside

Well this is not my first time installing Linux. I have used RHES4 to install NSM(netscreen security manage) before in that past but that is really simple , and used just for that app.

On my home PC. I want to dual boot Linux , and windows vista(gaming only)

I'm not too familiar with the EXT3, Linux swap, and or XFS. I would like to have a partition for Linux, and partition for windows, and storage partition for files that both systems can read.

I have a 250 gig seagate Sata2 HD with a Nvida7800gtx. Nforce4 board from evga.

Install mandriva 2008 spring live

What i did was create a 75 gig windows file system( most of my games and other windows thing around 5 to 10 gigs each)

then did auto allocate. I got a 7.8 gig section for "/" a 3.8 for linux swap and resized "/home" to be 50 gigs .then i left the rest of the hard drive empty to partition it later. I did this in this exact order.

Is this correct , will it work?

Next off i would like to know what type of file system works with both windows and linux to use a storage drive. ( i have a 500gig usb backup drive)

I would like to make Lunix my main os. Also If anyone has any suggestion on how to run multiply linux install with multi partition I'm open ears.

Other things i would like to know .

Good bit torrent Apps.

Codec for video for divx , xvid, the hd ones.

How to RDP into a windows machine with VNC ( I used juniper secure access device to do a Terminal service client into windows machine)

a list of CLI commands ( familiar with cli with juniper products only) I enjoy cli

a good read for newbies to linux.

Thank you

Edited by chronicinside

Welcome aboard. :)

Is this correct , will it work?
Yes, although 1GB Swap is more than enough.

what type of file system works with both windows and linux to use a storage drive.
VFAT and NTFS (for the latter one,read/write support must be installed alter in Linux)

About installing multiple Linux installations, please use the FAQ section and use the search-tool on this board, there are tons of threads about that one.

Bittorrent: Transmision

For the other things. Please - again - use the search-tool first. All of these questions were answered multiple times. :)

If you still have problems to find the answers, then please ask again.

BitTorrent: Many solutions. I like Azureus, although Deluge, ktorrent and QBitTorrent are also fine. Transmission and LH-ABC are also passable (the former is just a poor relative of its MACOS version, while tha latter being a pure python application is CPU-intensive).

You don't need VNC to RDP into a remote windoze machine, but rather rdesktop (it also has many frontends, but I prefer firing it via cli as it has more features and it's actually quite easy to use).

Hello ChronicInside.

With the exception of swap I would say your setup is OK.

However there is absolutely no need for a 3.8Gbs Swap. The absolute most would be 1GBs but in practical terms, 512 Mbs is more than sufficient.

You gain nothing from such a large Swap and simply waste space.

Cheers. John.

With the exception of swap I would say your setup is OK.

However there is absolutely no need for a 3.8Gbs Swap. The absolute most would be 1GBs but in practical terms, 512 Mbs is more than sufficient.

Quite true in general (myself have settled for just 256M on my desktop), but if he has a laptop with 4G of RAM and he wants to suspend/hibernate using the regular pm-suspend/pm-hibernate methods, then he does need that oddly sized swap.

You gain nothing from such a large Swap and simply waste space.

Cheers. John.

Unless of course you are using a laptop and want suspend/hibernate, then you'll definitely need double the ram for it to work - especially suspend to ram! ;)

Unless of course you are using a laptop and want suspend/hibernate, then you'll definitely need double the ram for it to work - especially suspend to ram! ;)

That is interesting, because I have 2gb ram and 2gb swap on my new laptop and suspend works perfectly for me - not that I use it much, but I have tested it and it does work.