PHP BB2 - Refuses install in Mandrake ONLY

Gowator

First, Sorry - I added this as a continuation but it hasn't even been viewed so I figured (since Im desperate) Id make a new topic

After anon's tips last try (and now I have internet at home) I installed the latest PHPBB2. The mysql is straight of the install CD's, URPMI couldn't find a newer one.

Im at work but I have to run home soon and get this working and it needs to be tonight.

Basically the install says

The PHP configuration on your server doesn't support the database type that you chose

Can I just edit a file to use mysql or do I need to do something else.

I manually created a phpbb users (the name I tried in the install) set the password etc under mysql and also granted ALL.

Its using 4.0.11a-gamma mysql...

Now, the first thing I noticed on my MDK box is that it's paranoid when it comes to security. This makes it impossible to use some functions in PHP, but I don't see how that should affect PHPBB. (I don't think it uses shell_exec())

A few things to check out.

- Check that PHP is configured for use with mysql. (Try calling a function like "mysql_connect()", if it displays an error like "Failed to call undefined function", you'll need to recompile PHP with MySQL support)

- Check that MySQL is working and running ("mysqladmin ping")

I had a similar problem once because I installed the php-ini package after installing php extensions like the php-mysql package. I uninstalled the php-extensions and php-ini package, then reinstalled php-ini before reinstalling the php-mysql and other php-related packages. Everything seemed to work from that point on.