PCI:device 00:1f.1 ... resource collision

BertoldK

Just in case anyone is interested, I installed Redhat 8 and dma is enabled Was getting 38MB/sec compared to 5MB/sec in Mandrake 9.0. I also spent some time on Google researching the issue and this does not appear to be solely a Mandrake problem but rather a kernel problem which only Redhat has patched. I saw several posts from SUSE users with identical complaints re getting dma enabled. Hopefully, Mandrake will take care of this in its next release.

A bit more info to this topic. Today I tried Knoppix 3.1, and when starting I got

Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent

PCI: device00:1f:1 not ..etc. etc.

This "Unknown bridge..." is in addition, this "PCI.." is exactly the same error message as with Mandrake. So it seems to be a problem between kernel and the motherboard.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an Intel 845G Chipset and had the same problem, i.e.

Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent

PCI: device00:1f:1 not ..etc. etc.

I checked Hardrake to see which device it was and also found the ISA bridge...

I installed kernel 2.4.20 (from cooker) which fixed the "Unkown bridge resource" problem, but the PCI thingumy is still there.

I then did a little research on the Intel website, and found this:

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/.../linux/udma.htm

Note that it says:

ICH4 (used by 845G and 845E) requires kernel 2.5.12 or later to enable any DMA mode

2.5 is an unstable release, and I don't really want to install that or wait for 2.6 next June or whenever it will be released.

Following up on mad_penguin's question above, is the redhat patch available somewhere, and would it be possible to patch a mandrake kernel with it?

If it exists, I haven't found it and beleive me, I've looked. Anyway, even if the patch does exist, it's for kernel 2.4.18 and Mandrake 9.0 uses 2.4.19.

However, I beleive 2.4.20 does correct the dma problem even though you still get the resource collision message. The message is apparently caused by Intel's BIOS but the situation is taken care of later in the boot process. This is based on my research of the issue. Also, I recently downloaded Yoper on a boot disk(similar to Knoppix) which uses kernel 2.4.20. Got the resource collision message but hdparm revealed that dma was enabled and I was getting 38MB/sec as opposed to 5MB/sec in Md 9.0.

After scouring the message boards and seeing a lot of people complain that the situation is caused by Intel's "lazy" or "incomplete" BIOS, I emailed Intel support and asked if they had any plans to correct the problem with an updated BIOS. Got a nonresponse back, the gist of which was "No, we've got better things to do with our time. It's a kernel problem." Would recommend that anyone with 845E or 845G chipsets also bug Intel to let them know we're out here and are not happy with the situation. It's the only way things will change.

Also tried updating the kernel some time ago to 2.4.19-something but really made a mess of it. Got dma enabled with this kernel(38MB/sec) but the system was dog sloooow, much worse than the original kernel. Sure I did something wrong; wound up going back to the original kernel.

If you have a link to the Cooker 2.4.20 kernel, I'd appreciate that. Also, any advice on what you need to do to update the kernel so I don't repeat my prior errors would be welcome.

I checked and as you said it indeed looks as if you still get the resource collision message, but DMA is enabled later on in the boot process for 2.4.20-2. Thanks, I missed that!

(I also checked, and for my 2.4.19-16 kernel DMA isn't enabled)

I got the Mandrake 2.4.20-2 kernel RPM from a Mandrake Cooker ftp mirror (I forgot which one). They are all listed on the Mandrake website:

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/cookerdevel.php3

In some subdirectory called i586/Mandrake/cooker/RPMS or something similar you will find your kernel-2.4.20mdk-2.rpm and the kernel-2.4.20mdk-doc.rpm or whatever the newest version is.

I found a nice tutorial describing how to update your kernel here:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/index.html#ku

Hi All,

Glad I ran into this thread :D

I was prompted to check my P4PE (ASUS) w/hdparm

and sure nuff no dma.

Then I checked my ASUS P4B266 and I had dma support.

So the confusing part is that I have LM 9.0 installed on

BOTH computers and installed from the same disk. So

how could it just be a kernel problem??

I would think it is a mb bios problem as some have

mentioned above (lots of asus's mentioned :( )

But if that's the case, how did a kernel upgrade help??

Questions , questions

-------pause pause............

So I checked into my bios (this is the P4PE board)

and noticed when the drive is set to 'auto' the

dma and pio options are greyed out. Changed to

'user' and they popped up nicely........but turned

out there was no change , still 'operation not permitted'

when doing the haparm -d1 thing. :evil:

So now it lookes like chipset problem starting with

anything after 845D. I didn't think the 'DMA Enabled'

was specific to a chipset so am I wrong there?

Maybe I should read some the above links, :?

-----------pause----------

Ok, I did

Sorry for all the uninformed rambling above. Thanks

to _MAX_ who sent the Intel link.