Error after update [solved]

The Berr

Why is his / partition on /dev/sdb1? That surely means it is on a second hard disk? Does the machine have two disks? Has it been installed to some external device?
Could have to do with where on the IDE cable the hard drive is attached, i.e. if the CD drive is on the same cable before it, or even if it just happens to be slave. It doesn't matter much as long as it's mounting and referencing it correctly. Edited by tyme

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest that you reinstall your system. I think it will be the easiest and safest way for you to fix this. When you get to the drakX partitioning wizard, select 'custom disk partitioning'. How much RAM does your system have?

/var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog are 2GB each
I thought the same thing, and then did some math. They're actually 20MB (rounded up, if you use 1024 bytes = 1KB, it's 19.668MB). given, that's still a freakishly large log file. Edited by tyme

That's probably what happened jkerr. I didn't think of that, thanks!

He may have unwittingly copied the contents to the hd during install but only if prompted. Walkman unplugged and tried again but hangs at same place. Copies of screen attached.

So how does on do fdisk using Linux or is there a more complicated way to clear partitions.

post-24034-1216913824_thumb.jpg

post-24034-1216913847_thumb.jpg