Error after update [solved]

The Berr

I just had a look at those screen shots you posted and I noticed 1 consistent error which is a read error from sr0. Earlier in the screen shot you will see that sr0 is how your cd/dvd is mounted. If it is getting read errors from your drive then that could possibly mean a faulty disc. I am not sure about this because I don't know enough about it, but it is one possible source of errors.

If this is the case then you might look at reburning the CD you are using, possibly at a lower speed, to see if that makes a difference.

I stress though that this is only guesswork, I in no way claim that a reburn will definitely solve your problem, it is just a strategy you might try if there are no other suggestions.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viking is correct about that error possibly being the problem, but it sounds like you've installed the system previously (without any problems) using that media.

I would like you to tell us all you know about your system hardware. What SATA DVDRW model are you using? Did you purchase the boxed set of Mandriva 2008.1 or d/l it with a subscription? When you first installed Mandriva 2008.1 did you just upgrade the 2008 system, or do a clean HDD format and install?

System comprises MSI K9A2 Platinum MoBo and AMD Phenom processor, 4gig Geill Ram, 2x Western Digital 400 gig HDs and xfx 9600 GTS with 512 meg graphics. DVD is Sony NEC Optiarc AD 7200 dual layer 20x SATA. I purchased Powerpack 2008 in February, but it would not recognise the Graphics card so could only get vga type graphics. Some time in June (not at home machine so cant check) I bought Spring edition which I downloaded as an iso (64 bit version). Copied this to DVD and installed it successfully first time. I cannot remember whether I did a clean install or not. Every couple of weeks or so I check for updates and select all to be downloaded - even though I have no idea what most are about. Last attempt to download gave an error message when trying to install the packages and that is where I remain for the moment.

Before we go any further with this, I'm assuming that you're using Vista on sda? So just in case, here is some info that you may need: repair startup issues in Windows Vista

I would suggest that since we are sure that at least part of the problem is lack of partition space:

That you d/l the SystemRescueCd iso and burn it to a CD. Then boot that CD and use Gparted to remove any existing partitions and make one single ext3 partition of the sdb drive. Please read the SystemRescueCd manual.

Then try to install your Mandriva system again. When you get to the drakX partitioning wizard, select 'custom disk partitioning'. Follow the instructions and make the first partition:

/ ext3 - at least 7GB in size and no more than 9GB (you will never use more than that amount)

then make the second partition:

swap - I would only use 1GB here

then make the third partition:

/home - ext3 make this as large as you want (you could simply use the rest of that drive)

So when you've finished it should look something like this:

/

swap

/home

Please let us know if you have any question or problems.

/ ext3 - at least 7GB in size and no more than 9GB (you will never use more than that amount)

I have used more than that amount in the past, especially if you do something that is log-file intensive, or install a lot of big programs. I usually partition with a separate /usr, and if I'm going to be doing something that I know will take up a lot of space log-file wise, a separate /var as well (though that is rare)

Just pointing out that it is possible to use more than 9GB in your / partition, that's all.

Just pointing out that it is possible to use more than 9GB in your / partition, that's all.

I'm aware of this. All I'm trying to do at this point is get Berr up and running with Mandriva. I do not want to confuse him with any more partitions at this time. :)

But, for the record this system:

[greg@halfway ~]$ df; free -m |grep -i swap
Filesystem			Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1			 7.1G  4.3G  2.5G  64% /
/dev/hda6			  84G   24G   61G  28% /home
/dev/hdb1			  57G   17G   37G  32% /mnt/storage
Swap:		 1129		  0	   1129

has three different dev environments setup and for my spare time, Doom3 and Quake4 are installed (pak files are symlinked in). Last but not least, I use logrotate weekly via anacron. :thumbs: