Error after update [solved]

The Berr

Followed your instructions Greg. Machine went through a few steps and shutdown. Photo on reboot attached.

REalised that you meant use the instruction with the backticks but cant now post the screenshot as I have used up my allocated memory and dont know how to delete existing images. However the screen looked much simpler

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, it looks like the problem is /var, it's 4.4GB! It's probably log files caused by another problem somewhere.

So (as root) do

cd /var/log; rm messages syslog

then try to reboot with

shutdown -F -r now

and we'll go from there. Let us know what happens?

OK, it looks like the problem is /var, it's 4.4GB! It's probably log files caused by another problem somewhere.

So (as root) do

cd /var/log; rm messages syslog

then try to reboot with

shutdown -F -r now

and we'll go from there. Let us know what happens?

Tried what you said but still would not load so ran instruction and screen attached

post-24034-1216800454_thumb.jpg

Seems like my suggestion was maybe correct even though ignored. :D

Cheers. John.

G'day John, sorry I was not ignoring you but I am a Newbie and find one line instructions much easier to follow. Also had no idea what you were referring to. I am a PC man familiar with DOS but no experience of any programming whatsoever.

I find Linux very frustrating as I do not know how to format or fdisk a disk and would welcome your thoughts on a book which explains this in simple terms especially if it specifies Mandriva or Mandrake.

So I was not being a grumpy Jock though I can be especially when nothing works for me...

Disk is 400GB dedicated to Mandriva Spring so not sure what the problem is

The thing is if The Berr has a 400gb disk with nothing on it but Mandriva then it is difficult to understand how a 4.4gb /var file is going to stop it from booting. It surely has to be something else?

Your last screen pic may have a little more to do with the actual problem although I am afraid I can't diagnose it, perhaps Greg or someone else can help you with that.

EDIT. Correction to that last statement, I just ran 'du' on my own system proc file and it came up with similar errors so that probably has nothing to do with it either.

I can only think that you need to repair the file system with e2fsck. (While I am thinking about that, on my last post I suggested you ran the command 'mount' to ascertain your root partition number. Of course this would only work if your partitions are actually mounted at the time and I am not sure if that is the case. An alternative command that will reveal similar information is 'fdisk -l')

Edited by viking777

it is difficult to understand how a 4.4gb /var file is going to stop it from booting

We don't know how large his / partition is yet, so it may be full. I believe that he should determine if it is full or not, before he tries to repair the file system. :)

@ Berr- Please give us the output of

df

that medo had already asked for.

From what I see, you have a 7.4GB / partition, and that's it, right? No separate /home, /usr, or anything else.

Now that we know that, it's easy to see why a 4.4GB /var is alarming.

If you have Mandriva all by itself on a 400GB drive, why only allocate 7.4GB to it? Not that there's anything wrong with that, my any means. I'm just curious.

It looks like you may have a rogue log that's generating a LOT of file space. Can you run this and post the output?

ls -la /var/log

Hi liquidzoo, I originally had a paid for version of 2008 but it wouldnt recognise my graphics card so after much frustration I accepted the hype and bought the Spring update. I just let it load itself, so whatever partitions are there were created by Spring or the earlier 2008.

attached screen of your instruction set.

post-24034-1216833549_thumb.jpg

The plot thickens!!

Why is his / partition on /dev/sdb1? That surely means it is on a second hard disk? Does the machine have two disks? Has it been installed to some external device?

Or is it that - as usual - I don't know what I am talking about??