Promoting Mandriva

willie

For the record, i've buy always my version of Mandriva, except for 2007(1) that didn't work on my laptop. First i try One and then buy the Powerpack.

If Mandriva want's to promote their software i aspect to give me or other members some material, so whe can give it away. Euro 13 for 10 cd is not much, but if i have to promote a company and pay for it . i find it not correct.

Maybe a mod can put a lock on this topic, it's getting nowhere

They didn't say that you have to promote it though. What it said was:

A good way to spread your favourite distribution in Linux parties or among your friends!

which is more like a suggestion than telling you that you have to promote Mandriva this way. There's nothing forcing you to buy them if you don't want to.

What I find is, that some people use Linux because it's free, and they expect everything they do with Linux to be free. Such as support, such as getting CD's or whatever else for free, without having to pay for anything. Yet, they aren't prepared to give anything in return for the help and support they get for all this free stuff that they are using. I find that to be rather a poor attitude to take that just because Linux is free, everything should be free, and nothing is given back in return.

The main reason why everyone can do everything they want in Linux is because so many people have given up their own time for free to help others with their problems. To help others have the packages that they want to use under Linux that they used to use under Windows, or equivalents of these packages. For me personally, I am only too glad to help others because of all of those who have helped me. And I'm even willing to pay to support Linux - so that it can succeed. You can't do everything for free and survive.

What I find is, that some people use Linux because it's free, and they expect everything they do with Linux to be free. Such as support, such as getting CD's or whatever else for free, without having to pay for anything.

I agree with that, but you must agree that what (K)ubuntu does works. I know that there are a lot of folks (MUB and the MCNL) spending lots of time helping others with there problems in there free time. For example: the crew of MCNL have made MCNLive, give them a couple of cd's, also on the MUB are people who spend a lot of time in Mandriva (you're one of them).

This is my last post in this topic for now, tomorrow i'm going for two weeks on holyday and there are no hotspots. :cry:

the crew of MCNL have made MCNLive
Technically, chris b made it :P (I remember when she made her first LiveCD, it was called something else back then). Do you guys still maintain it now that she "retired"? I'm just curious, not trying to nit-pick.

Technically, chris b made it :P (I remember when she made her first LiveCD, it was called something else back then). Do you guys still maintain it now that she "retired"? I'm just curious, not trying to nit-pick.

Chris B made it that's correct but the crew of MCNL tested MCNLive from alpha till the final release. That's why i said MCNL made it. No sins Chris stopped there will be no new release of MCNLive. :cry: I think nobody has the skills r the time to take over.

I agree with that, but you must agree that what (K)ubuntu does works.

Ubuntu does have one thing different though. It's backed by a millionaire who even paid to go into space. Mandriva filed for bankruptcy, recovered with the help of investment from VC's and are climbing their way back up again.

Were it my company, I wouldn't give the stuff away for nothing, either. Whatever you do, first of all you have to make sure that you do not go bancrupt. Point.

To be honest artic, if you actually ran a company you would realise that sometimes you may have to compromise your beliefs in order to make money. and if you can't you won't be in business much longer. It is possible to give something away and make a profit, any notion that you can't is pure ignorance.

Ubuntu does have one thing different though. It's backed by a millionaire who even paid to go into space. Mandriva filed for bankruptcy, recovered with the help of investment from VC's and are climbing their way back up again.

Yes which is reflected in the strategy discussed by the O/P, it looks like the company has developed a risk neutral attitude as of late. Which might be enough to get them out of a rut, but it won't have them leading the market any time soon.

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

Yes which is reflected in the strategy discussed by the O/P, it looks like the company has developed a risk neutral attitude as of late. Which might be enough to get them out of a rut, but it won't have them leading the market any time soon.

Maybe not, but at least it will stop them from going bankrupt again - something I don't particularly think they want to happen. Considering their situation, I can't blame them for being risk-neutral for the time being - makes perfect sense. Once they've recovered and can do something risky that could help them lead the market, then good luck to them!