Acer Ferrari

xboxboy

Hi all,

I'm looking for a notebook/laptop, and think for my line of work a Ferrari or Asus Lambo laptop should help build some confidence in my customers.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either of the above using Mandy.

Any help most appreciated.

I have an asus but a midrange one not an expensive one: everything including the fingerprint scanner seems to recognised and work out of the box except for sound but that wasn't so hard to fix, my previous laptop another asus worked out of the box too

my gf has an older acer, it came with an "instant media player" based on linux (you can use it to watch dvd's and stuff w/o needing to boot into the os) and everything worked out of the box.

Well, I have a Acer Ferrari 3400, a modell that is a few years old (It's an AMD Mobile Athlon 64 with 512MB RAM, bluetooth, WLAN etc). It was top specs when I got it several years ago and it still works very well. Mandriva works perfectly on it, everything works even bluetooth and WLAN. Th eonly thing that isn't so good about this one is the battery performance. But that might have improved on the new Ferrari versions from ACER.

I have an Acer Ferrari [5000 series] 5005WLMI (2.0GHz AMD Turion 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, ATI X1600Pro Mobility Radeon). It's still pretty much recent (in production, that is).

I have run pretty much all major Linux distros on it. It's fully compatible with Mandriva 2008.1 (Spring). The bluetooth, the WLAN, the Ethernet, and all other components work out of the box.

3D acceleration works perfectly - unless you want to enable the 3D effects. I get hangs, freezes etc (see https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=63204). But with effects turned off, it's pretty much smooth.

Oh, and one more catch. The Mandriva 2008.0 version does not work. The system hangs absolutely on boot. Give that a miss. But Mandy Spring is safe.

Good luck with the buy!

Edited by superphysics