New to Linux *I Need Help Installing*

HellzZlave

ok so i went and got OpenSolaris 2008.05 burned ISO to disc using alchohol 120%(successfully) and rebooted with disc in drive.

it got as far i did with Mandriva

in mandriva i did the same up to the Reboot, when it starts loading, with progress bar (it has no caption on it for some reason?) and after the loading bar a console(command prompt like) shows up, and i dont know what to do from there ive seen the tutorials and most of them seem to skip this console and go straight into the setup. i have no idea what i did wrong, and i also need help partitioning the drive. i have Windows Home XP disc and it only partitions to NTFS, i read that FAT filesystem is needed and i dont have any software to do this. can somone gimme a URL to a site to actually get such software, maybe this will fix the console showing up.

edit:

BTW i only want Linux as main OS not multiboot with windows(sick of windows)

Edited by HellzZlave

Nvidia Geforce 5200 256mb tryed on both 1024x768 Res and 800x600 Res (it reset the drivers after the reinstall of windows)

768mb (around there) in RAM

1.6 ghz Pentium 4 processor

im not sure what kinda board, i know its a nvidia chipset

40gb harddrive (lol small)

is this it, =D

Edited by HellzZlave

It would also help us to know what Mandriva install disk and version you are using? If you are using Mandriva One and having problems, I would suggest trying Mandriva Free, but we need to know what release version, 2008 or 2008.1?

It would also help us to know what Mandriva install disk and version you are using? If you are using Mandriva One and having problems, I would suggest trying Mandriva Free, but we need to know what release version, 2008 or 2008.1?

mandriva Live Disk cd-rw

the newest version of mandriva one on there site, if thats the problem ill just get free. but im sure itle do the same thing as OpenSolaris did.

the dumb page isnt working properly for me

the radiobutton for free wont be check can somone send the link for it

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

Edited by HellzZlave

If you use the Free version it will give you more installation options, including Linux kernels. Then you can install anything you need after the installation.

like i said i need a link =D

the page isnt loading correctly due to insufficient nvidia drivers so i need a link to it

when i finally get on mandriva ill look for the drivers then

If you have never used a Linux desktop before this, I would suggest KDE. If you have a DVD you could d/l that. If you have 3 CDs, You could d/l the 3 Free CDs. If you only have one CD available, I would suggest that you try to find two more.

I'm going to go drink some beer now. I will be back tomorrow if you have any problems. :beer:

I will mail you 2 blank CDs if you need them. :)