Urpmi showstopper [solved]

Guest Burunghantu

Guest Burunghantu

I have just spent hours, trying to make sure that the problem is not, a bad burn, a bad optical or not very good optical drive etc. I burned the image onto DVD due to the very poor CD quality here in China. I've been using Linux almost a year now and Mandy 2007 was my first Linux. I've always enjoyed recommending it here due to the nationalization and ease of use.

I am very impressed as I was refamiliarizing myself with it so I could install it on my other halfs computer. In Live mode I prepared to install codecs and test and see how all these things work, her Notebook ran flawlessly for hours and it even does well with my slightly new hardware, HP tx1000 notebook. Wireless on both is an easy set up.

Well, I can't get anything but one program listed from PLF repos? :blink: Doesn't matter which one I chose, mirror that is. I only get shown opera in the nonfree area. Now I've gone and browsed some of the repo locations. They all have plenty more rpms than the list shows.

I have gone and gotten sourse from EasyUrpmi, the new way (Very impressive and solved my one concer for giving Mandriva to those new to Linux, how to add the necessary sources for media), automatically and then the old way, paste in Konsole. Same result.

So it all points to some problem with the list downloaded? It's incomplete or something? has this been noted? I can set up her system. I can go and install the rpms by downloading them from the repo. The point is I won't. I can do this for myself, but she was learning to use this and seeing she cna do things on her computer and it needn't be hard.

I also have a friend that finally after years, is considering buying his first computer. Mandriva looks set for him as well. I think starting off right with the package manager having the right sources is a way to go.

I'll be montioring for a reply. I have switched to wget insteaad of curl. I don't think it's the issue.

I even tried Smart, which I'm unfamiliar with. Never used it in Mandriva and got it going but same result for the package list and it froze on me once. I do all this from Livemode, as there's no reason I shouldn't be able to, and I always have. It's my standard way to see what a distro does before I install. At this point, I can't install it for her and it's such a pity cause she really liked it when she saw it. :sad:

Hope there's some news as to the issue with this. I also found a lot of other lists seem to be a lot shorter than before it seems as well?

I'd have a crack at removing all the repos, and then adding them again from scratch. Rather than use the gui utility to get all the repos, use the easyurpmi link at the top of this page. It will mean you can control it more and add it from the console using the urpmi commands.

If you've already done that (I think you might you mention it above), then try an:

urpmi.update -a

and then see if the repos hold any more stuff for you. Check the output from the command to see if it actually connected to the repos to update the hdlists. If not, then you have connection problems to the mirror.

Well, I can't get anything but one program listed from PLF repos? Doesn't matter which one I chose, mirror that is. I only get shown opera in the nonfree area. Now I've gone and browsed some of the repo locations. They all have plenty more rpms than the list shows.

In rpmdrake do you have both filters set to All (at the top left)?

Jim

Since the OP is using Mandriva 2007, (as dexter has already noted) he will have to use the old interface here: easyurpmi/old/

I would also suggest using

urpmi.removemedia -a

first, to clean up your sources before you start and reinitialize urpmi's setup. Then follow the instructions listed there.

Welcome to the board! :)

Since the OP is using Mandriva 2007

That's not how I read his post. 2007 was the first linux he had used and he has been using it for a year. I had assumed that he was now installing 2008.1. Of course, it would be better if his post had been clearer.

Jim

Guest Burunghantu
[/color]l 10 2008, 10:00 PM' post='471364']

jkerr82508, I have just read it again and you are probably correct.

Anyway, now he has instructions for both. :)

Thank you for the quick reply guys. Well, I'm using 2008.1. Rather sleepy by the time I'd posted. Yes, I erased all sources and installed from different mirrors just to see if it were a connection issue etc. I also use the search function. The suggestion that did it was(Thanks David, U guessed it)... :P I didn't see that one, some changes to the urpmi Gui, that default show only GUI programs. :wall:

(Who thought of that and not set default to all!)

All is well now and I feel realy silly. :huh:

:oops:

All is well now and I can install. :thanks:

I have been very impressed with this 2008.1 release and look forward to being able to recommend it to as many people as I can.

I think it's hard to get easier than this.

Very much appreciate the quick replies. Issue solved...