mdk9.1 unreal tournamnet help

grendal

After struggling ot figure out how to get my cd to mount to install unreal tournamnet, i was greeted with the following when I tried to play the game:

Unreal engine initialized

Bound to SDLDrv.so

Joystick [0] : Unknown Joystick

SDLClient initialized.

Bound to Render.so

appError called:

fread failed: BufferCount=-56094 Error=1

Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError

Executing USDLClient::ShutdownAfterError

Signal: SIGIOT [iot trap]

Aborting.

Exiting.

Name subsystem shut down

How do I correct this? I need it in newbie style. I just want to see how it runs on linux as I'm starting to convert over from windows. Also can you download the ut2k3 demo for linux on windows? I have a dsl line at work (windows) and dial up at home.

Nvidia- I have the lastest driver working (Tuxracer works, well in root anyways.-if I try to run it as a user it tells me I dont have permission)

I had tried mandrake 7.2 when it came out, loaded ut no problem, but it wouldn't run, so this was my way to see if I could now make the switch over to linux, so far I'm happy with how everything else runs(but what do I know Im a newbie!!! :D )

Thanks for the link by the way-it was taking forever at the house to download, maybe i can get the ut2k3 demo to run!!! :lol:

No i'm using 9.1 now, i'm was just going to use ut to see how far mandrake has come since 7.2.

if the install is corrupt should I reinstall? It took forever to get the cd to mount and install. I dual boot, can I install it in windows and copy any of the files over?is this possible??would it fix this install problem? or should I just pony up the money for ut2k3?

No i'm using 9.1 now, i'm was just going to use ut to see how far mandrake has come since 7.2.

if the install is corrupt should I reinstall? It took forever to get the cd to mount and install.

Do you have supermount on? That may be part of this problem. If you do, disable it and try again.

I dual boot, can I install it in windows and copy any of the files over?is this possible??would it fix this install problem?

Don't think this is possible as the executable files are different, it may be possible to copy some data from a windows install, but not all of it.

or should I just pony up the money for ut2k3?

I say you should do this anyway, even if/when you get your UT install working, ut2k3 is still a great game. Better graphics, better engine(IMHO), and it's an all around great game.

(from memory, so bear with me)

Go to Mandrake Control Center -> Mount Points -> CD/DVD/CD Writer (whichever you want, I would do all that apply to you) -> Choose options and click OK; uncheck the supermount option and check both of the other options. Click ok, done, when it asks if you want to save the modifications to the fstab, say yes. Do the same for any other cd-rom drives and floppy if you want.

Then, on your desktop, right click and choose create new -> CD ROM device. Choose your icon if you don't want to use the default. For the mount point, I think it's the third tab on the top, choose the mount point of your cdrom from the list (I think /mnt/cdrom by default) and choose ok.

After that, you can right click on this new icon and choose mount to mount the disk. Then open a console and try to reinstall ut. Give it a try and let us know.

Grandal have you tried running UT in root? I only ask this because you mentioned that tux only runs in root. I was thinking that maybe you have a permitions problem with the vidio some how.

I'm probobly off but its a grasp at a straw.