ZDoom 2.2.0 & Eternal Doom IV

skyhawk

I finally made the effort to install Zdoom 2.2.0 and it was time well spent. My first attempt to compile the source code was halted, due to two missing development libraries, but after those were installed my second attempt was successful. No loading errors were encountered when Zdoom was first launched. A few minutes were spent with Doom II, then I loaded Eternal Doom IV, which is still a work in-progress. Zdoom is required to run Eternal Doom IV.

Eternal Doom IV is nothing less than spectacular, even considering that many levels have yet to be added. It is a great leap forward from the preceding final release of Eternal Doom. The graphics are beautiful and very realistic, running fluidly on my Compaq Deskpro EN, Pentium III 933 MHz with nVidia Riva TNT2 AGP card, Mandriva 2007.0, kernel 2.6.17-5mdv. Sound is excellent; far superior to DosBox 0.72. The game engine accepts OSS with no complaints. The first level (hub) of Eternal Doom IV begins with Map 8; warp to start the game there.

Those who want to install Zdoom 2.2.0 and follow Eternal Doom IV as it progresses should print a copy of "Compile Zdoom on Linux", available on the Zdoom Wiki pages, and read it thoroughly. The dependencies listed therein should be interpreted to mean, "development libraries required, also", although it is not explicitly stated as such. FMOD 3.75 was one of the requirements for my install, but only five files contained in the tarball are actually needed by Zdoom 2.2.0.

Team TNT has done meticulous, ground-breaking work with the initial levels. The levels to come are being anxiously awaited. As I wait, I will find a safe niche somewhere in an immense courtyard, listen to the crickets chirp in the darkness of a summer evening, and try to dodge fireballs hurled my way.

Historical note: the first third of Eternal was not actually made by TeamTNT. It began as an independent project, and released (IIRC) eight or nine levels in this form. It was then swallowed by TeamTNT, and the last two thirds (again, IIRC, it's a long time ago...) were released under the TeamTNT name and with input from TeamTNT members. There is - to me, anyway - a fairly obvious difference between the styles of the independent section and the TeamTNT section, though both are good.

edit: just checked, it was 13 levels created by the initial Team Eternal, not 8. I recall now that my favourite bits of the initial Eternal were done by Sverre Kvernmo, who went on to be a professional designer. I don't know where he is now...

Edited by adamw