system log viewer error

chris z

(told ya i'd have more questions!)

i'm having a problem with my system log viewer. when i try to run it by going to "kicker>start applications>applications>monitoring>system log" it asks for root password, opens the sytem log viewer panel, seems like it's loading, but then it bombs & i get an error message box that says "error....unknown error" & my only option is to close the error box. i can still view logs if i got to Mandrake Control Center & use the log viewer there. the log viewer was working fine a few days ago. i'm wondering if this could be related in some way to my Java/Mozilla 1.4 problems (see thread) http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6...5b2841b04ed61aa because it seems to have only started after that dilema? is there a way to run the log viewer from a teminal? if there is, i was thinking maybe it would give me more detail about the error, but i can't find a command to run it. once again, if anybody can shed some light on this problem, it would be appreciated.

thanks,

Chris

have you tried running it from a terminal?  sometimes there are error messages there that are not normally visible.
I think he wants to do that, but can't figure out what the binary file is...
is there a way to run the log viewer from a teminal? if there is, i was thinking maybe it would give me more detail about the error, but i can't find a command to run it.

try klogviewer (just a guess)

yep, i wanna try to run it from terminal, but i don't know the command to do so..........

nope, klogviewer doesn't work..........neither does logviewer, syslog, syslogviewer, xlogviewer, xsyslog, & several other variations i've tried. (i've tried running them both as user & root) any other ideas? i can't even find anything in the MAN pages about the log viewer. (if it's there, i'm missing it then) not really a major problem, but it's the little things like this that bug me & make me wanna know why! if i come up with anything in the meantime, i'll let you know.

Chris