Gnome vs KDE

Guest ions

I'm thinking that is a ZeroConf hostname. That's the default for MDK9.1 when you are set up as using DHCP. Cannonfodder wrote a great FAQ about this, it took some searching but I found it here

The ZeroConf looks a lot like the MAC address, but I don't think it actually is.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, well, you are having some troubles that all seem to be related. Sorry for the confusion, but MAC address is short for Machine address, the same as HWaddr you see in ifconfig.

When you ran the network config tool originally, did it show something like that for the XP box's name?

Can you post the output of /etc/dhcpd.conf?

I'm thinking that is a ZeroConf hostname.  That's the default for MDK9.1 when you are set up as using DHCP.  Cannonfodder wrote a great FAQ about this, it took some searching but I found it here

The ZeroConf looks a lot like the MAC address, but I don't think it actually is.

Well, it looks like it uses the MAC Address as the root part of the name as you can see comparing the hostname output:

x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-f6

to the NIC connected to the internet:

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:C8:DD:4C:F6

Aha, so it could be what was setup for the name of the WinXP box if one of those tools was used to try to set up the LAN?

Guest ions
Ok

When you ran the network config tool originally, did it show something like that for the XP box's name?

I really don't remember.

How do I do that? by typing /etc/dhcpd.conf in a console I get: no such file or directory.

I've never heard of that happening, but then again, I can't get my own network working (5 IP addresses, all given to me by my ISP; all I want is to share the printer between my laptop and desktop) so it could very well be that. I can't imagine that Gnome would complain about the ZeroConf name of the XP box during startup, but it is possible.

How do I do that? by typing /etc/dhcpd.conf in a console I get: no such file or directory.

Try typing it in a root, if that doesn't work, look in /etc for that file, if it is there open it and post what is in it.

Guest ions

I have 3 dhcpd.* files and they are:

dhcpd.conf.drakgwdisable

dhcpd.conf.orig

dhcpd.conf.sample

The first two were modified yesterday at about the time I was trying to get ICS working using the MCC and the 3rd is dated September 18, 2002.

Actually, you would type

cat /etc/dhcpd.conf

and then highlight and copy and paste it here, but I'm a little cloudy on setting up cable modem stuff, so the information I need is in a different file. Do you have a

dhcpcd-eth1.info file?

locate dhcpcd-eth1.info

if so, do a

cat /real/path/to/dhcpcd-eth1.info

of course entering the correct real path found from the locate command (you have to do this as root) and copy and paste then info here.

Hint: In Linux if you have a scroll mouse that the scroll wheel doubles as a button, you can left-click-drag to highlight and then just come here and click the scroll button in the text-area of composing your message to paste....cool shortcut.

Guest ions
Actually, you would type 

cat /etc/dhcpd.conf

In root that caused No such file or directory

and then highlight and copy and paste it here, but I'm a little cloudy on setting up cable modem stuff, so the information I need is in a different file. Do you have a

dhcpcd-eth1.info file?

Not that I see.

locate dhcpcd-eth1.info

I typed that in and I was just brought to the next line. Nothing happened.

if so, do a 

cat /real/path/to/dhcpcd-eth1.info

of course entering the correct real path found from the locate command (you have to do this as root) and copy and paste then info here. 

Hint: In Linux if you have a scroll mouse that the scroll wheel doubles as a button, you can left-click-drag to highlight and then just come here and click the scroll button in the text-area of composing your message to paste....cool shortcut.

Thanks for the scroll mouse tip! That's pretty cool! :) Almost makes this all worthwhile. :lol:

Heh. That's one of the things that really irks me whenever I have to boot into Windows....highlight>right-click>copy>right-click>paste...lol.

I sent you a private message here about giving you more direct help through MSN, AIM, ICQ or YIM.

Guest ions

Currently Steve and I are chatting in an IM session working on this.

I should have mentioned that my newbness and Linux problems will only be compounded by my habitual bad luck. :)

Welcome ions! Based on your other thread and the topic of this one, keep in mind this.....you are not in windows. If you want linux to act like windows it will not. KDE is as close as you will get. Gnome is not for everyone, just like KDE is not for everyone, and Fluxbox is not for everyone, and windows is not for everyone, and linux is not for everone..... :wink: No matter which DE (Desktop Environment) or wm (window manager) you use you are using linux and linux has rules. Like it or not it is what makes it superior and more versatile, yet tougher on the learning curve. It takes time and patience at the very least. Some learn fast and some slow, but all CAN learn to use it and use it well. Some don't want to spend the time and brain cells and that is perfectly fine, but if you do....the reward is great yet different for all as we all have our own reasons we do what we do. I hated Gnome and KDE for the first year I used linux and went straight to the small wm's. After constant configuring I got tired of small wms and just wanted the easy route so I went with kde. Didn't take long to get tired of kde so I now use gnome. I don't see myself getting tired of gnome as I knew I would with kde. I have found my home :wub: But it is different. It does do things differently to say the least. Gnome is in its infancy rt now and is currently being completely re-worked. I currently run gnome 2.3.3 and can say that there're improvements from 2.2 and expect 2.4 to be quite nice. Hopefully by 2.6 it'll be mature enough that the frustrations that bug us all will be gone.

http://gnomesupport.org/forums/

Guest ions

Well Mr. Scrimpshire and I were unable to solve this problem. Although I am feeling more and more comfortable manoevering through various functions.