Gnome vs KDE

Guest ions

Funny the same thing happened to me. It never disrupted any programs though. And Gnome was faster and more stable than KDE for me.

I used Enlightenment for a while, great. I now use fluxbox though. Very good. Even faster than gnome at launching my apps. But don't use the Fluxbox RPM. It was very slow. I compiled it from source and it's a lot faster.

It's a possibility he's not using dhcpcd. He could be using dhclient or pump (pump unlikely).

Oh well good luck

James

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ions

I know this is more of a Windows style solution but what about just doing a fresh install? Maybe since I did my install I've tinkered something the wrong way and finding it would be like finding a needle in a haystack? Why not just build another haystack?

Just for a laugh, go to MCC and run the networking wizard again. Make sure you choose expert and choose the option for cable modem. I'm not sure if this will help or hinder; but it's worth a shot before you resort to a windows-like reinstall.

I used to get the same error in redhat which is gnome based. The well known fix in redhat for that startup error is to add the following line to /etc/hosts right below the 127.0.0.1 localhost line:

127.0.0.1 <insert jiberish from error message, in your case:x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-16> localhost.localdomain

Guest ions
Just for a laugh, go to MCC and run the networking wizard again.  Make sure you choose expert and choose the option for cable modem.  I'm not sure if this will help or hinder; but it's worth a shot before you resort to a windows-like reinstall.

I guess I should have all my settings written out to input them as I go. Is there a console command I can use that will display the details for me?

Just for a laugh, go to MCC and run the networking wizard again.  Make sure you choose expert and choose the option for cable modem.  I'm not sure if this will help or hinder; but it's worth a shot before you resort to a windows-like reinstall.

I guess I should have all my settings written out to input them as I go. Is there a console command I can use that will display the details for me?

If you use DHCP with your cable provider (I imagine you do) then you should be able to choose auto-detection, DHCP, obtain IP automatically.

If you were assigned an IP by your ISP, you need to know that, the default gateway, the DNS server, and 1 or 2 more things, I'm not sure. Most cable providers now use DHCP (I think) so your IP is assigned by them. It may never change (like mine, 2 years and it's only changed once, when @home was taken over by attbi) but it is still assigned by them.

I know you're using kde now but just for future reference.....

The inability to delete the icons for my floppy drive and cd rom on the desktop. Apparently I don't have permission to remove icons off of my own desktop.
Move all your icons to the center of the desktop>Open Nautilus and go to Edit then Preferences>change Icon View Defaults to 75%>Move the icons you wish to disappear to the edge of the screen (I used the rt edge)>Change the Icon View Defaults back to 100%.

GONE :wink: