Gnome vs KDE

Guest ions

Guest ions

I was having problems with KDE as seen here: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6241

So I thought I'd try Gnome. My needs are really simple - I pretty much use the machine for media and web. That's all. So I want simple and not bloated.

Running in Gnome was slow but I'm thinking that maybe I was running a KDE instance in the background if that's possible.

My other gripes with Gnome include:

The inability to delete the icons for my floppy drive and cd rom on the desktop. Apparently I don't have permission to remove icons off of my own desktop.

I was unable to drag and drop the Home icon to my quick launch bar. Doing so created a window asking for the new quicklaunch button to be configured. How intuitive.

I deleted the system tray by accident, I thought I was deleting the multiple desktop launch bar, and I can't figure out how to get it back

The default file manager blows. It crashed on me several times. If it's possible to make it remember that I want to use the tree view everytime I open it I can't find it.

Slow.

Very slow.

Did I mention how slow it was? Maybe if I log directly into Gnome instead of having to log off of KDE into Gnome would solve this? It's much slower than KDE as it is now.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BooYah

That's strange. I thought gnome was faster than KDE, for me. It's probably pretty safe to say that gnome isn't as "user friendly" as KDE and requires a bit more configuration.

However they're both bloated resource hogs. On your Mandrake CD's you should have a few other window managers to try: IceWM, Sawfish, and Enlightenment. I never really got around to giving them a fair try, so I can't say anything about their ease of configuration, although Eterm is awesome. I've been using Fluxbox for a while, and I just haven't felt a need to try anything else out.

The only thing I miss from KDE is kprinter (hint, hint, qnr). A clipboard applet would be nice too...

ions: some of your issues in gnome may stem from something else. check /etc/hosts (it's a file) and make sure your IP (not localhost) is associated with whatever name you gave your computer (i.e. riesling.prajna.net - name of my system). this can slow things down.

as for your other issues with icons, run gconf-editor and search around a bit. you may find a setting in there that will solve your woes. but be careful, you could mess things up ;-)

Guest ions
ions: some of your issues in gnome may stem from something else.  check /etc/hosts (it's a file) and make sure your IP (not localhost) is associated with whatever name you gave your computer (i.e. riesling.prajna.net - name of my system).  this can slow things down.

as for your other issues with icons, run gconf-editor and search around a bit.  you may find a setting in there that will solve your woes.  but be careful, you could mess things up ;-)

I can't find etc/hosts :(.

Can I set it so I'm asked at startup if I want to start in Gnome or KDE?

I think there's a way in the boot section of MCC to change your default WM/DE. If not, you can always use kdm/gdm/xdm/mdkkdm for graphical boot. You should be able to choose from a list within that which one you want to log into.

Guest ions

Here's a Gnome startup error I'm having:

Could not look up internet address for x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-16.  This will prevent Gnome from operating correctly.  It may be possible to correct the problem by adding x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-16 to the file /etc/hosts.

So it would appear that it does have to do with /etc/hosts. Could this be the reason of the poor performance? Still have no clue how to get into that file. :

If you're looking for low bloat, fast starting desktop, try icewm. You can configure the bottom bar entries by editing "toolbar" file in /usr/lib/X11/icewm.

I found myself that Gnome is faster than KDE.

Guest ions

Alright so I found the file - I was looking for a directory. I open the file using Nautilus and all it displays is:

127.0.0.1  localhost

Do I just paste in the above string that Gnome claims is missing? On a new line?

Guest ions
I'm assuming that x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-16 is what you see when you open a console and type 

hostname

If that is the case, then you can change

127.0.0.1 localhost

to

127.0.0.1 x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-16

I'm guessing.

Nope, when I type hostname in a console I get this:

x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-f6

:?

Did you try Steve's suggestion, replacing the 'localhost' in /etc/hosts with the output of hostname? You can also go to MCC and run the network config tool in expert mode to set the hostname to whatever you want instead of tht address. Might be easier for you. It certainly is easier for me to do it that way.

Guest ions
Did you try Steve's suggestion, replacing the 'localhost' in /etc/hosts with the output of hostname?  You can also go to MCC and run the network config tool in expert mode to set the hostname to whatever you want instead of tht address.  Might be easier for you.  It certainly is easier for me to do it that way.

Well I haven't tried it yet because the error I'm getting is different that the output of hostname.

About using MCC, Mandrake Control Center right?, to change the hostname. I can change the hostname to anything I like or is there a format I need to follow?

About using MCC, Mandrake Control Center right?, to change the hostname.  I can change the hostname to anything I like or is there a format I need to follow?

You can change it to anything you want, but certain applications like it to be a fully qualified domain name like

omar.serenity

or

omar.serenity.home. In etc.hosts, you can enter a shortened name for it, like this

127.0.0.1 omar.serenity.home omar

or in my case:

192.168.0.1 omar.serenity.home omar

I think I'm right, but I've been wrong before.

Guest ions

Probably asking for trouble by posting my IP but here we go...

[root@x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-f6 root]# ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:BA:1F:A1:56

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:2836 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:435923 (425.7 Kb)

Interrupt:10 Base address:0xcc00

eth0:9    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:BA:1F:A1:56

inet addr:169.254.6.61  Bcast:169.254.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

Interrupt:10 Base address:0xcc00

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:C8:DD:4C:F6

inet addr:(edited) Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.252.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:216972 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:15628 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:29 txqueuelen:100

RX bytes:18829599 (17.9 Mb)  TX bytes:3462126 (3.3 Mb)

Interrupt:12 Base address:0xd000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1

RX packets:470 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:470 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:45432 (44.3 Kb)  TX bytes:45432 (44.3 Kb)

I'm not using a mac. This machine does have a cable modem which I wish to share with an XP machine but I've yet to be successful in that.