Downgrade Kernel

Hey gyus !

I have an HP tx2140 tablet pc and I cannot get the wacom pen work correctly at all in Mandriva 2008. I have noticed that it works (uncallibrated though but I hope to be able to fix this) with an older kernel. I tried to install the older kernel (2.6.18) but with no success.

I tried to

1) compile the from the downloaded tar archive (it gave me some errors but I am not sure if it was the correct the procedure I followed at all...)

2) install it from rpm I found in an Mandriva 2007 (nut it hangs during boot with a message after "unmounting old /sys" "Booting has failed")

Could you please help me to find and compile or install an rpm of the kernel-2.6.18 for Mandriva 2008 correctly ?

Thanks !

S.

[moved from Laptops, etc by spinynorman]

Compiling your own kernel will be missing any patches that were applied to the Mandriva kernel. However, the majority of things should work fine though. If you downloaded the kernel tar file, copy it to /usr/src and then untar it from this location. Something like:

mv /home/username/Downloads/linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2 /usr/src/
cd /usr/src
tar xvjf linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2
cd linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2
make oldconfig
make && make modules_install && make install

that should do everything for you. The last line is three commands combined, however you could simply do it like:

make
make modules_install
make install

and see how that goes. The make install should make the initrd hopefully, so that when you reboot, the system should start normally.

ianw1974 thanks for the reply !

I tried to compile the kernel but I received the following errors after "make install"

--> No module sata_nv found for kernel 2.6.18, aboarding

mkinitrd failed:

(mkinitrd -v -f /boot/initrd-2.6.18.img --ifneeded 2.6.18)) at /usr/lib/libDrakX/bootloader.pm line 118)

make[1]: *** [install] Error 2

make: *** [install] Error 2

Did i make a mistake somewhere ?

Thanks !

OK, what I suggest you do then is, first do:

lspci

to find out your sata controller. Then go to /usr/src/kernel-2.6.18 or whatever the directory is and:

make menuconfig

you can then go into Drivers, and find the actual SATA controller that fits your machine - looks like NVidia one to me if it's using sata_nv. Chances are that later kernels had a SATA section, whereas earlier kernel versions were found I think under SCSI or somewhere else. You just need to find the one that fits your need and make sure it's selected as M for module.

Then run the compile steps again like I mentioned in previous post after existing the menu system.

Thanks ! I have finally managed to compile the Kernel successfully.

The problem now is that when I try to load with the kernel 2.6.18 the laptop is not booting at all, but is hangs with a blank screen from the very beginning...

Ahhh !

S.

You mean about the not booting - balnk screen state ? I just don't see the HDD led busy.

I also tried some other things but now the laptop hangs during boot with an error message: "Booting has failed" after it tries to mount the root filesystem.

Mounting root filesystem
mount: could not find filesystem 'dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Booting has failed

I meant the wacom device not working ;)

Hmm, this is very tricky for me ! I tried so many things without any success...

E.g: I tried to edit the xorg.conf file but didn't work.

You can see the full story here: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=60904

I want to get this thing working so badly, since I HATE windows so much and I LOVE Linux !

S.

OK, so what I see is this:

title 2.6.18
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18 BOOT_IMAGE=2.6.18 root=UUID=c12305c6-49b8-11dd-af2c-4b5b4f8d60e7 resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd-2.6.18.img

am presuming this is the one you are booting, so:

1. Does the vmlinuz and initrd exist for this kernel? Check the /boot directory.

2. Does the boot_image exist?

These files do exist. It seems that ther is another problem preventing the system to boot:

Mounting root filesystem
mount: could not find filesystem 'dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Booting has failed

probably your have compiled an old kernel which uses the old libata where devices used to be called /dev/hdX instead of the new one where they are called /dev/sdX

what does your /etc/fstab look like?

Edited by ffi

Hmm, it might be something like that. Unfortunately I don't have my laptop now but I remember that the devises were recognised as sd and not as hd. I will also check it this evening.

If this is the problem, where should I change the reference for the devices from hd to sd in order for the "old" kernel to recognize the devices (is it only in the fstab )?

S.