Need help on Mandriva [solved]

Guest Syth

Guest Syth

Hey guys, i really tried to come along on my own with a problem, but at this point of time I really need some help! So there're some problems resulting of the fact i'm a whole newbie to mandriva/linux systems, but i got more and more into them last days. So, the main problem is, theres an important rar-file whichs password i can not remember unfortunately. So i decided to get the rarcrack-0.2 tool to get the package encrypted. I am not so depp inside the installation principles of mandriva, i hope you know what kind my problem is. It was an *.tar.bz2 file, which i succesfully unpacked; but now in the Readme is written:

cd rarcrack-VERSION ->(yes..)

#you need gcc or any C compiler (edit Makefile CC=YOUR_C_COMPILER) -> (edit?)

make -> (make?)

#you must be root in next step:

make install ->(install?)

I downloaded gcc to compile the file but the "edit" does not seem to be a known command to mandriva (im doing all from the root-terminal). So i just renamed the Makefile to "Makefile.cc" which is causing several errors used by the command "gcc Makefile.cc" so it seems like im just trying impossible things and do not really know how to handle this.

->How can i compile the Makefile and- as the next step- how can I install the whole program and use it afterwards? I found the command "sudo apt-get install libxml2-dev" in this context, but apt-get seems to be no known command again. I researched and found out, that this is a program synonym to rpm so i use "sudo rpm install libxml2-dev" which delivers a couple of interesting [-a|--a]'s and other things in [ ]'s which i can not realy indentify or come along with.

I hope my english is good enough to express my problem and someone out there can help me with my little newbie prob! Im sorry if theres somewhere already explained that one, but im searchin since hours in the web and lost the overview of all my actions - pleease help me, it's really important for me to unrar this file!

Thanks for reading

greetings, Syth

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

cd rarcrack-VERSION ->(yes..)

#you need gcc or any C compiler (edit Makefile CC=YOUR_C_COMPILER) -> (edit?)

Well, I think you *need* to edit your Makefile, I'd do it like this

kwrite Makefile

And, I don't think the root-terminal mode is needed at all, when editing replace YOUR_C_COMPILER for gcc and save the file.

Then, type

make

At the last step, to be root and make install type

su -c "make install"

The system will ask for the root password, type it, press enter and that should be enough.

By the way, usually the sequence is:

./configure
make
su -c "make install"

But in that source tarball may be different, do as the readme says.

Guest Syth

Thanks a lot for the fast replie. I finally understood the way i have to rewrite the Makefile, but the command "make" does not work? What am i doing wrong, i just type "make" and the terminal says "bash: make: command not found" ? Im sorry, as i mentioned, still newbie, but it's really interesting getting into it; so whats wrong with this "make" up to this position i got everything?

Guest Syth

awwww! I got it, thank you so much! I realy stuck on this step and just get not behind this "make" thing! Its all working, thank you out there!!

Can be closed :D