Applications keep changing?

Guest ions

Guest ions

Sorry for the title, I wasn't sure how to describe the problem succinctly for the title.

If I right click on a file, an MP3 for example, and select that file type to always be opened by xmms other file types also start being opened by xmms like video.

Everytime I select Xine to open all video types mp3s get lumped in there too and vice versa. Why? :?:

Guest ions
Which file manager are you using?

Konqueror. I'm not overly impressed with it but I'm not really comparing it to anything either. Open to suggestions especially if it's the cause of this problem.

I don't really know why, but should be a snap to fix up a little more to your liking.

If you right click on an file, and choose edit file type. You can change filename patterns (such as .MP3 or .mp3) for the association and you can rearange things in the Application Preference Order box by clicking on one of the apps that show. The one listed on top will open such a file with a regular double click.

Guest BooYah
I don't really know why, but should be a snap to fix up a little more to your liking.

Konqueror. I'm not overly impressed with it but I'm not really comparing it to anything either. Open to suggestions especially if it's the cause of this problem.

I hate konqueror and KDE. I had the same problem as you except with some .doc files. I gave up on the whole KDE thing. My thread with same problem

Nautilus isn't so bad if your looking for an explorer-like file browser, but Midnight Commander is where it's really at, if you ask me.

Guest ions

If you right click on an file, and choose edit file type. You can change filename patterns (such as .MP3 or .mp3) for the association and you can rearange things in the Application Preference Order box by clicking on one of the apps that show.  The one listed on top will open such a file with a regular double click.

Now when I double click the directory I linked on my desktop to all my music ALL my music opens up in xmms! Why does it apply this to directories?

The desktop link is a "Desktop Config File" and not a .mp3 file and should not have any apps being opened by clicking on it. This link should be blank in the Application Preference Order box and open up konq. Sounds like something is screwed with your KDE settings.

It seems when one thing goes wrong with KDE it is like a chain reaction thing starting. Might want to think about deleting the .kde folder in /home/user and starting from scratch to rebuild all your user prefs.

Guest ions

I've been trying to do searches on comparisons and most search results are people whining that it's an old topic and well covered in a search. :lol:

A change to Gnome wouldn't comprimise any apps I use would it? Opera, xine, xmms and alike..

I don't use Gnome or KDE. Not an editorial comment, just a statement of fact. I've used them in the past, and neither of them provides anything I particularly need that isn't otherwise available.

Guest ions

I feel so dumb! I haven't figured out how to do a thing myself yet in Linux! :( On that note, how do I switch so that my machine starts with Gnome?

I feel so dumb!  I haven't figured out how to do a thing myself yet in Linux!  :(  On that note, how do I switch so that my machine starts with Gnome?

Well, first, we've seen in this and other threads that you've figured some stuff out on your own, and second, you've found out how to use resources :) that's something.