General Software Installation Problems

Guest ions

Guest ions

I've had Mandrake for a week and all I've managed to install succesfully is Opera. I've read through what feels like countless FAQs and manuals on rpms, compiling software, etc. Nothing works as the directions describe!! Or as people on the forums describe. I always manage to run into some sort of roadblock. Conflicts detected and the install fails or I manage to download the wrong thing altogether install it and it does nothing. Nothing visible anyway. So far I've only tried installing Opera, mplayer, bittorrent, and Flash. Flash and Opera have been my only successes. I'm fortunate that Mandrake does come with lots of useful software from the get go. Thank you for that Mandrake. :)

Here is a thread at the Opera browser forums about my difficulty in doing this http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=23296 What are the guidelines for downloading software? For example here is a link to Python files I need for my Bittorrent install http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.p...ubmit=Search+... and according to somebody on the Opera boards I need one of them. Which one?! How can I tell?

Please teach a man to fish. :(

How are you installing?

I recommend that you learn to use urpmi from the console. When you download an rpm, su to root and type:

urpmi file.name.rpm

A list of depends will come up if needed, or urpmi will ask for the install disks if the files are available on them. Download the files into a directory (I call mine "install") and urpmi will find all the depends and install every necessary file. Neat. :wink:

Guest ions
How are you installing?

Well I've been trying to install by double clicking on the icon of the recently downloaded RPM whatever it may be.

I recommend that you learn to use urpmi from the console. When you download an rpm, su to root and type:
urpmi file.name.rpm

A list of depends will come up if needed, or urpmi will ask for the install disks if the files are available on them. Download the files into a directory (I call mine "install") and urpmi will find all the depends and install every necessary file. Neat. :wink:

So I need to download a urpmi file? Or a regular rpm and I perform urpmi on that file? If it's the prior, what if a urpmi is not available for download?

Here's a quick urpmi (Mandrake's easy way to install rpm files) lesson that should work:

1) Open up a terminal or konsole

2) type su <enter> then your password <enter> then urpmi mplayer <enter>

example:

[scoopy@localhost scoopy]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost scoopy]# urpmi mplayer

Since mplayer is included (with all dependacies) on your install cd's and these are already configured as software sources during your initial install --- this should have mplayer installed without a hitch.

After this, I would read up more on urpmi and configuring software sources

Guest ions
try: K -> Multimedia -> MPlayer

if not, open up that terminal again and type in mplayer

It's not under K->Multimedia -> mplayer and while typing mplayer at the console does give a list of options I'm really unfamiliar with the console. I don't know how to play a file from there.

How do I add it to the K menu?

Guest ions
:oops:  oops, I may have forgotten a file you will want to add here:

su <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->urpmi mplayer-gui

This should add the eye candy and stuff.

That fixed it. Thanks! :)

Guest ions

Does anything install the same as the last thing installed?

I'm trying to upgrade my Nvidia drivers so I downloaded the file from this page: http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_di...y_ia32_1.0-4363 to my desktop and fllowed the directions of the install pdf to write sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run in the directory I saved the file to. I did that as shown here:

[root@x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-f6 Desktop]# sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run: No such file or directory

You can see the result.

Make sure you are in the directory that the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run file is in and (as root)

chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

then

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

but I thought you could just do this:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

And in case you didn't get the answer to your urpmi question. You run urpmi on regular rpm files.

Guest ions

[root@x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-f6 Desktop]# chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

chmod: failed to get attributes of `NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run': No such file or directory

I know it says Desktop in there but maybe I'm not really in the proper directory?

The best thing to do is make a special directory inside ~ (that's shorthand for /home/ions or /home/omar....whatever user you are logged in as) called tmp or install or whatever:

As your regular user (Anything inside [ brackets ] are just my comments, you don't actually type them):

cd ~

mkdir tmp

Then as root:

slocate -c -u

[there will be a long pause here before it gives you back a prompt, while it updates the database]

locate NVidia-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

cd [whatever the locate of NVidia-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run was]

mv NVidia-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run /home/ions/tmp

[assuming that your regular user is ions]

cd /home/ions/tmp

chmod +x NVidia-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

sh NVidia-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

Guest ions

ERROR: Unable to find the system utility `ld`; please make sure you have the

package 'binutils' installed.  If you do have binutils installed,

then please check that `ld` is in your PATH.

OK

So close! But no...