Network conguration of portable with DHCP

Guest scoltock

Guest scoltock

I have an Apple iBook2 with Mdk 8.2 installed. This portable is used at work and at home (connected to my Mdk 9.0 Athlon), connected via ethernet with DHCP. Hence, the network address of the machine can change from one moment to the next, as I move the machine. On changing, I often get errors from Gnome programs, since the X window display's address is no longer valid. Possibly I've got other problems too, since the address that the machine was booted with is gone. The question is, what name should the machine have (it changes as a function of the network). What network name should it have (that changes too). Machines don't have network addresses and names, individual ports on the machine have IP addresses and names, but the configuration utitlities don't seem to know that. Some pointers please on how I should configure correctly this machine.

Make the IP static by DHCP.

You can add a MAC-ID of your notebooks' NIC to your dhcpd.conf file, so your machine always gets the same IP.

host staticLaptop {

hardware ethernet 12:34:56:78:AB:CD;

fixed-address 207.175.42.254;

}