How to blacklist? [solved]

Dad

Howdy,

I'm trying to force my laptop audio from speakers to USB headphones. I did this before with Debian. I just added my sound driver to the blacklist file and thats all. I'm now trying the same thing and its not working. I'm using /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-compat which I'm not sure thats the blacklist file or not.

cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [VT82xx ]: HDA-Intel - HDA VIA VT82xx

HDA VIA VT82xx at 0xc9100000 irq 22

1 [Headset ]: USB-Audio - Logitech USB Headset

Logitech Logitech USB Headset at usb-0000:00:10.1-2, full speed

How do I blacklist the driver?

DOH! I some how managed to post this in the wrong place!

Edited by Dad

However, placing the line in any file in /etc/modprobe.d should also work, as all files in /etc/modprobe.d are sourced by modprobe.conf. In fact it's 'more correct' to create a new file in /etc/modprobe.d than the edit modprobe.conf , these days.

It suggests to me that maybe the line *is* being read but the module is loaded anyway - not sure why that might be. An alternative approach to the problem is to use index lines:

options snd-usb-audio index=0

options snd-hda-intel index=1

that should make the USB device into device 0, the default device, rather than your onboard sound being the default device.

So far I have edited /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-compat and /etc/modprobe.conf and neither has worked. So I'm either in the wrong place or typing the wrong driver info. So where exactly do I put "options snd-usb-audio index=0" and "options snd-hda-intel index=1" Thanks everyone!

However, placing the line in any file in /etc/modprobe.d should also work, as all files in /etc/modprobe.d are sourced by modprobe.conf. In fact it's 'more correct' to create a new file in /etc/modprobe.d than the edit modprobe.conf , these days.
Good to know. :)

So far I have edited /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-compat and /etc/modprobe.conf and neither has worked. So I'm either in the wrong place or typing the wrong driver info. So where exactly do I put "options snd-usb-audio index=0" and "options snd-hda-intel index=1" Thanks everyone!

lspcidrake -v | grep snd

should display the sound modules that are loaded.

Jim