software removal (fortune-mod)

chris z

i've been doing some software removal via the MCC rpmdrake. i came across this fortune telling program called "fortune-mod-1.0-30mdk" under "workstation>game station>other". from what i can tell in the descripition, it's some kind of fortune telling program. i don't need my fortune told, so when i checked it for removal, a box comes up telling me that because of dependencies, the following packages must also be removed..........gnome-control-center2.2.0.1-2mdk, gnome-telnet2.4-4mdk,gnome2-2.2.0-1mdk, xclockmore-5.06-1mdk, & xscreensaver-4.07-1mdk! why must all of these things be removed along with this fortune telling package & is it safe to do this? it looks to me like it wants to remove the gnome package, which i don't want to happen. i haven't used gnome terminal much, other than just to investigate it (been stuck on KDE, which i like alot), but that doesn't mean i might change my mind at some point. has anybody removed this "fortune-mod" package & what were the repercussions (if any) by doing so?

tia,

Chris

dont remove it, if you log in to run level 3 ( you get a console instead of a window when booting stops) then you can put it in your startup (/etc/rc.local) so you get a random cookie quotation after your pc starts. or you could put it in ~/.bashrc to get a cookie quote when you start a terminal but that might be a little bit cumbersome when you execute some shell scripts.

KDE (maybe gnome) also uses that to get some quotes and display it. i forgot the app but i saw it once. i stopped using gnome and kde a long time ago so i cant be sure about the name of the app, just that it is in the start menu somewhere.

some people even use fortune to generate some sigs for their mail. and some are eeriely on-topic for the topic being discussed even if the quotations were picked randomly.

ciao!

Hey ramfree, do you remember how to set it up for the startup on detail??

I remember it came by default with the MDK8.1 and some other distros i tryed... but 9.1 doesnt... so if someone knows how.

like i said, if you are boot into runlevel 3 then you can put the command fortune (or /usr/games/fortune if you dont have it in your path) in any of the following places (+ for advantages, - for disadvantages)

1) at the end of /etc/rc.local

+ you will get a fortune before the login prompt

- you cant see it if you boot directly into runlevel 5.

2) at the end of ~/.bash_profile

+ you will get a fortune cookie after you login

- again if you are logging directly into runlevel 5 then you better search for garu (or aru for new members of the board) for the word nologin and KDE.

3) at the end of ~/.bashrc

+ you will get a fortune cookie every time you start a bash session (terminal, and i think also for scripts)

- this could get irritating pretty fast.

ciao!

I just noticed this thing takes up almost 5 megs.

I would guess you can do this:

rpm -e --nodeps fortune-mod

which would remove just the fortune-mod program. But then, it could break something in one of those other programs. Is so, you should be able to reinstall fortune-mod.

The way I have done something similiar is to go ahead and let it remove all those, and then just reinstall the ones you want. If fortune-mod is definiately needed by something else, it will insist it as a dependacy then.

The one I would worry about here is the gnome-control-center... but why is this tied to fortune ?

Oh, and if you open a terminal or konsole and type "fortune" you will see what it does. (not too exciting, but interesting)

I don't use Gnome or KDE, so I'm just guessing here. Fortune is used by a number of the xscreensaver modules (and for random signatures for mail or news clients). If the Gnome control panel controls xscreensaver (or Gnome variants) and was installed while you had fortune support, maybe it has to be reinstalled/reconfigured when you remove fortune. Just a thought though, and it sounds like a pretty inefficient way of doing things.