aRts Can't Open the Sound Device

manly

Hi,

Here is the process I've been going through for the last few weeks:

1. I turn on the computer, log in, and sound works perfectly. All is Good .

2. Somehow, a process starts aplay, which is a program that plays files using ALSA drivers.

3. aplay keeps running, and it doesn't stop. When aRts tries to play a sound, it can't beacuse the device is open.

4. So I killall aplay, but arts still can't open the device. As root, I run lsof /dev/dsp, and apparently nothing is accessing the sound card.

5. I log out, log in, and everything works like normal.

Any ideas? How can I trace what program is starting aplay?

Thanks,

--Andrew

A possible reason for arts not working again is that it can take a while for it to realise the device is free. Next time try waiting a couple of minutes before trying to use an arts app.

Don't know how to fix your problem, but you could always try removing aplay and see what dependancies urpmi throws up.

2. Somehow, a process starts aplay, which is a program that plays files using ALSA drivers.

It may be worthwhile to identify what is kicking off aplay.

Try running a 'ps -ef fw' and see what's running aplay, and maybe what's running that.

If it's something stupid, maybe you can stop it from happening, and prevent the problem.

Its been annoying the hell out of me too.

One thing I noticed is if I start with for instance xmms working and accessing the arts driver this happens If I 'login as other' user after shutting xmms down AND NOT selecting remember desktop everything is fine.

Perhaps you have a mime type set for a sound file that starts aply when you mouse over. I have this with mp3's and it starts up some app or other, memory seems to be failing.

If its being started through a mime file assoc then perhaps its not releasing it afterwards.

I turned off the preview in Konqueror, it was pissing me off :evil:. I'm wondering if it might be mplayer.

hugerobot: DAMN! ps -ef fw is sweet! Thanks!

I don't understand why it seems to be so hard for linux to have multiple sound sources. I hate to say it, but as an example, I can play mp3s in Winamp and Play Quake without a problem, but it's way slow on linux (artsdsp)... is there a reason why the ALSA drivers can't just accept multiple programs accessing /dev/dsp?

--Andrew