NTP not connecting at bootup [solved]

edwardp

Before seeing it in Mandriva, I didn't even know resolvconf existed.

When I used SuSE before, unless the network was really down, NTP worked first time every time. If their distro included resolvconf, perhaps it was off by default.

Given this, maybe it should be off by default with Mandriva as well. :)

Seems a bit weird resolvconf should be doing something with NTP, will have to look into this. I've seen it screw around altering my /etc/resolv.conf before now - but then thought that was what it was meant to do - just screw around with resolv.conf :D

In all honesty, resolvconf sounds like a complete waste of time and shouldn't exist.

I looked at /etc/resolv.conf to see if there was a problem with it, but the information in it, was found to be correct.

Since resolvconf will change this file, I wonder if perhaps ntpdate was trying to access resolv.conf at the exact same time that resolvconf was, hence the ntpdate errors about being unable to resolve the hostname?

ntpdate shouldn't have a reason to access /etc/resolv.conf - but I know that resolvconf does as I seen it on Mandriva 2008.0 on a server install that was bugging me when the DNS entries were being reset. I did leave resolvconf but found a way to disable it through config files. However, I could remove the package completely but for now it's not affecting me, or the client who's server it is :)

Your ntpdate problem is that ntpd was running, and hence why ntpdate couldn't run. You use either one or the other - for me even if ntpd wasn't running ntpdate complained - so I just never used it.