Which DVD burning software is smallest?

shengchieh

Hi!

I'm back after using PCLinuxOS 2007 for over an year. I'm on mandriva/XFCE because I no longer want to be on KDE - KDE has been getting

too bloated lately and I don't have much memory/storage on this dinosaur.

By default, mandriva/XFCE comes preinstalled with Xfburn which does not burn DVD (data or iso). So I need to install something else. Looking

at the mandriva software management (rpmdrake), the amount of files to be added if I add k3b is way too long - I used k3b in the past, but I'm

willing to change. This is also true for brasero and gnomebaker. xcdroast, does that burn DVDs (or just CDs)? How good is tkdvd - is it

user-friendly?

I only want to burn DVDs (data and iso). I don't need other features to burn audio files..

So which DVD burning program do you recommend or don't recommend (please post if you veto a program).

UPDATE: I can't get the poll to run. I see choices as brasero, gnomebaker, k3b, tkdvd, and xcdroast. Any other I should consider?

Thank for your feedback.

Sheng-Chieh

Edited by shengchieh

Bashburn is the smallest, and despite being cli its easy to use.

But Brasero does burn DVD's, and the same applies for GnomeBaker (which is clearly an inferior software to Brasero)- you just need the whole cdrkit thing installed.

Both have too many Gnome dependencies for my taste, anyway.

There's also NeroLinux (current version is quite OK), which does not have any desktop dependencies, but it's not free.

Edited by scarecrow

What size Hard drive are you using that you need to be so concerned about the size of K3B ???. Probably the best burner bar none and that includes Nero.

You mention that a number of dependency's have to be also downloaded.

Most often all these other burners actually use those same dependency's as well. :unsure: and to even use cli , those same packages need to be installed in the first place.

Cheers. John.

Thank for replying.

What size Hard drive are you using that you need to be so concerned about the size of K3B ???. Probably the best burner bar none and that includes Nero.

You mention that a number of dependency's have to be also downloaded.

Most often all these other burners actually use those same dependency's as well. :unsure: and to even use cli , those same packages need to be installed in the first place.

I have 12G which is more than enough for k3b, but I prefer to keep the system "light" (fast and small). I already downloaded tkdvd - it seems to do all I want and did

have much library files.

Bashburn is the smallest, and despite being cli its easy to use

I'll take a look at it.

Sheng-Chieh

I've used most of the cited software. Apart from K3B, I find the most versatile, powerfull, and reliable is xcdroast. It takes a little time to get used to it, but it is rather well organized.

tkDVD does little, but it does it well; its biggest shortcomming in my opinion is its GUI.

Yves.