Holy Wars

Guest frew

Yeah, I just got reminded about the holy wars from the post asking about a good C IDE. Anyway, I was thinking it might be nice to discuss our opinions about vi and emacs. Let's try to stay sane with this and not start a flamewar as those usually suck. Try to use those smileys or something if you are being sarcastic.

Oh and as for my opinion. I like vi/m but I would like to use emacs more in the future since it is a really nice OS :lol:

Both are complicated and easy to use. I know emacs, a little, and would like to learn vi/m as well. I think it is best to know your way around both editors. When you sit down in front of a strange computer, you won't know which is installed.

The one thing that I like about emacs is that added information on the screen and the fact that you can subdivide the window allowing you to work in the shell (shell buffer) and work with a config file/program/text document at the same time.

If you are using a desktop, this point may not mean much. But if you have to sit down at a computer that is only running a shell, it can save considerable time.

On the other hand, if you are using a small screen where space is everything, the minimalistic approach of vi makes for more characters on the screen.

There, my two cents worth.

i´m having a hard time getting vi worked out... and i never used emacs

so i asume vi is better and l33ter of course. btw there are coffee cups available that have all the vi commands printed on them... i´ll probably get one in the near future.

I decided that emacs would be the one I would try to learn so I downloaded the docs from the Gnu site. The result was a manual in HTML that was two inches thick. When poeple say it is an operating system, not just and editor, they weren't kidding. My progress with it has been very slow since the one thing it isn't is intuitive.

Counterspy

The one editor that I am starting to use in both windows and Linux is jEdit - www.jedit.org. It is an excellent editor with almost the same power as emacs and a more intuitive, gui, interface.

It is entirely written in Java - so only get it if you have a faster machine with lots of ram - and is very fast. It understands java, pearl, html, css, php, and many more languages. (Understands means that it will do proper text highlighting for that language) When using it with html, it even supports proper code completion.

The editor also contains a plug-in architecture allowing developers to increase the functionality of the program. So, if the core editor does not support your language, or what you want to do, you can either write a plug-in for it, or download one off the net.

Another nice feature is that it will auto update any installed plugins. You need to start the process, but it will keep itself up to date.

Some nice little extra plug-in additions for the program are shell support and irc support.

Very cool program that I strongly suggest everyone download.

One more thing, it is also open source.

I use vi.  I looked at emacs.  All I have to say is  :shock:    :lol:

I know this is offtopic and I'm a moderator and setting a bad example (shhh don't tell the other mods) but frew your avatar would make an awesome tattoo!

Haha thanks much.

I am glad this hasn't escalated into any falme wars as I thought it might. The thing that is weird is that allthough many people claim that emacs is easier, I find it really hard to use now tha I am used to vi. I like being able to just be like arg :x and saving and closing and stuff, oh and vi CAN do split screens, the command is <esc> :split.(maybe vim only)

• 2 weeks later...
btw there are coffee cups available that have all the vi commands printed on them... i´ll probably get one in the near future.

I need one of those! :) I can never remember the vi commands. :roll:

vi is what I started learning mainly because the IS guy at work uses vi. I figured one day I would give emacs a whirl but I think this thread cured me of that desire. ;) vi is working just fine. :)

I use kwite for my php/html/xml code.

I dont care about it much as long as it's got code highlighting for the langauge im using.

Oh and as long as it shows the line number your cursor is on.

If i find something i like better i will use it.

:) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D happy enough for ya?