Urpmi difficulty

AussieJohn

I am having a small problem in that when I went into MCC and started updating repository Mandriva sites, I found that I can update everything except the MAIN sites. The problem does not appear to be in the Mirror websites selected because it occurs no matter what Mirror sites I select and those sites are aok when I am in another partition also running 2008-Spring. In this second Mandriva, in /var/cache/urpmi/partial I see two text files which do not occur in my main Mandriva. I tried copying them in but in running the site update routine it deletes them. The two files are media.cfg and MD5SUM.

The message is as shown below :-

" Unable to update medium, errors reported:Unable to update medium, errors reported:

retrieval of [ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/main/release/

media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz] failed (md5sum mismatch)

problem reading synthesis file of medium "Main (Official2008.1-1) ".

Of course with no MD5SUM then obviously the message. It appears that the process is not storing the MD4SUM that it downloads or for some reason is not downloading it in the first place.

As you can see in the screen shot, the other sections are handled OK.

I do not remember making any changes anywhere so I am at a loss here. Ideas anyone ???.

Cheers. John.

I'm presuming you've removed the main mirror, and then tried adding it again to see if that helps? Otherwise, it would seem they borked the last update to main as well as the md5sum that because of the mismatch you can't do anything. This I've seen before, and as such you will probably find that in a day or two it will be OK again.

When it happened to me, I removed all sources and added them again - yet it didn't help. Although maybe one time it did help......

My understanding is that once a release is final, /main/release should be frozen. However, I see that on distrib.coffee in /media-info, all of the files, except pubkey and MD5Sum are showing a last modified date of 10/06/08 and there are a bunch of openoffice rpm's dated 9/06/08 in /release. I believe that someone has "goofed".

I don't update my local mirror of the /release repo's once the release is official, and so I can't be sure if this is the source of John's problem.

Jim

Hello Ian and Jim.

I have cleared the entire urpmi list at least a dozen times and used a different mirror in each case but getting the same result as seen in the snapshot. Notice the ticks in Main updates and Contrib plus Contrib updates and Non-Free Plus Non-Free updates., but not in the Main itself.

When I am in my alternate Spring (for experimenting and learning how to use Wine, if possible) I can clear and use any Mirror I want and the procedure runs perfectly OK. Hence my being pretty positive that the mirror sites themselves are not the problem.

I think I am going to have to uninstall rpmdrake and or urpmi. Or is it likely to be something else ???. But if I do then there may be a problem of how to reinstall them if you see what I mean. If I do then what is the best way to do this ????. Yes Ian, I know it will most likely require doing it via cli :D :D :D

Obviously since MCC is basically gui then once either or both of rpmdrake and urpmi are deleted hen there is no gui for them in MCC to be able to do the reinstall.

Cheers. John.

I wouldn't uninstall rpmdrake or urpmi you might not get them back again afterwards unless you manually download and install with the rpm command. It should just be a case of clearing out the repos and making sure no other old data is hanging around. Maybe that command adamw suggested might help if it's just an md5sum mismatch.

Thanks Adam.

Tried that but it made no difference. Since you pointed to that particular folder i.e. /var/lib/urpmi I renamed the folder to urpmi.old and ran the update program.

It produced a new urpmi folder but without the parts related to Main so I deleted the new /var/lib/urpmi and the old and tried again. Again a new urpmi folder minus the Main was created. See screenshot.

Something seems to be telling the system to not download the particular files related to Main or is deleting them after doing so..

Cheers. John.

It seems I had the same problem as John, but with Mdv 2008.0; the problem appeared about a month ago. I "solved" it by removing the bad media, and adding it again with the "synthesis" file instead of "hdlist". I'm not sure this can be transposed in 2008.1, though…

Yves.

I'm using Easy-Urpmi from there:

https://mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/old/

At step #2, there's a checkbox:

"[X] Utilise les index compressés, plus petits que les normaux, mais avec moins d'informations"

=> Use the compressed indexes, smaller than the normal ones, but with less information

I don't know how to transpose this tip for 2008.1, or even if it is possible at all…

Yves.

There is no hdlist any more in 2008 Spring. Only synthesis. Extended information is handled through the new XML system.

There was a problem with the synthesis for 2008 Spring main/release - I tested and found this to be the case yesterday. It was fixed on the master mirror this morning, it should propagate to all mirrors over the next few hours. Sorry for the trouble.

There actually is still a hdlist.cz file, even still on cooker, e.g. from my /cooker/main/release/media_info (rsync'd from distrib-coffee):

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1712203 2008-06-25 01:08 changelog.xml.lzma

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3160192 2008-06-25 01:08 files.xml.lzma

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 37325143 2008-06-25 01:08 hdlist.cz

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 390270 2008-06-25 01:08 info.xml.lzma

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 248 2008-06-25 01:08 MD5SUM

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1539 2007-04-30 12:56 pubkey

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 671850 2008-06-25 01:08 synthesis.hdlist.cz

I've no idea if this file is totally redundant, or if there is still some process that makes use of it.

Jim

Edit to add: It has just occurred to me that it's probably there for anyone using urpmi to update from a pre-2008.1 release.

Edited by jkerr82508

Thanks Adam.

Following your reply I waited till now before attempting again. Still the same result.

It does seem that the problem is in the packages on my system that control all this for some reason so what should I try reinstalling and how. If this cannot be done then it looks like a clean reinstall needed. (not a big deal to do this since it doesn't take very long and considerably quicker in most cases.)

I tried a dummy upgrade but that made no difference either.

Cheers. John.

Well I took the plunge and deleted urpmi by, as root in Konsole, using rpm -e --nodeps urpmi.

Installed urpmi from the DVD, using kpackage, then reran the urpmi update sources in MCC and it now fully properly works again.......Phew.

It would seem that the updated package of urpmi is buggy whereas the original as per the DVD is ok.

I think my present problem can be described as resolved but not solved. That is something Mandriva needs to do I think. I will wait for a further updated version of urpmi before I will touch it again.

Cheers. John.