Root login at beginning

Guest dardack

Guest dardack

Ok, first off would like to say i love mandrake 9.1, and especially love the uprmi command. Geeze is this the easiest thing to use or what. Especially loved it for setting up my mythTV box (http://mythtv.org) made it easy to get all the required software.

But one thing i hate is not being able to log in as root, ok i love command line as the next guy, but sometimes i just want to log in as root in GUI and change things there. I had having to open SU mode chmod 777 (or a+rwx) whatever, on a directory so i can do somethings with my user, as it isi have to make sure to than after i'm done to chmod u-rwx or whatever, and my memory as it is, i forget to do that. So is there a way to log in as root instead of any of the users?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, I think kdm or gdm allows you to do that. Or you can turn off the graphical login, then log in as root from the command line and do a startx. You will get a nice sexy red background that greets you with some message saying how silly you are, logging in as root like this :P

If you want to do file management go to start menu>Applications>File tools>File Manager - Super User Mode. Enter your root password when prompted and konqueror will open with root privileges. Hit F9 to get the navigation panel on the left that you normally get when opening konqueror as an ordinary user. If you click on a text configuration file, it will open in kedit with root privileges and you can edit the file. There's no need to change permisions to do the things you describe.

If you must log in as root to a gui, do Log out>Log in as a different user. At the login screen, for user type in "root" w/o quotes and enter your root password.

Guest dardack

ok didn't realize about the file manager, thanks pmpatrick. And good i hate changing permissions. But if i log out and log back in it just gives me my users pictures to click on, there is no place to type root as the username, and if i click one of my users, the username is blocked out so i can't change it. Anyways with the file manager, and SU in command line, i should be fine without logining as root, thanks.

used the search feature at the top of the page to search for "root login" and found this thread which should answer your question and give you plenty of warnings against logging in as root graphically

--->http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=5937

Is my link bad or something :?: I mean, the answer to adding root to login is in that thread...is it not? :roll:

Yes, the answer is there in the third post, because I posted it! 8)
That's good, because for a second there I thought I had gone crazy and was seeing things.... :shock:

Guest dardack

ok my bad tyme, i read yours and than the other one and just didn't click on the link till after i posted. Thanks very much. But i won't unhide it after finding about the file manager su mode.

ok my bad tyme, i read yours and than the other one and just didn't click on the link till after i posted.   Thanks very much.  But i won't unhide it after finding about the file manager su mode.
Oh, it's fine. I was just making sure it was noticed. You weren't the only one who seemed to miss it ;-) *ahem* Scoopy *ahem* :-P

Guest dardack

glad i just didn't go on the link, i like the super user control for Konsole. Much better than loginning as root. Thanks for everyone's posts.