Problem with Acrobat Distiller

krisbee2000

In 2008, I wanted to put a pdf writer into cups, so I could write to pdf's in mozilla and wine. However, everytime I try to get the distiller to work, I get an error in the pdf-writer backend...

E [23/Jun/2008:06:57:19 -0400] PID 8845 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/pdf-writer) stopped with status 1!
I [23/Jun/2008:06:57:19 -0400] Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.
I [23/Jun/2008:06:57:19 -0400] [Job 30] Backend returned status 1 (failed)

Any ideas?

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

I see... maybe you are missing some dependencies?

I am using cups-pdf, which works well, and is packaged for many distros- probably for Mandriva as well.

If not, you can grab the SRPM package from http://www.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~vrbehr.../download.shtml and try compiling that one instead

(like "rpm --rebuild cups*.src.rpm).

I did what you said, but I feel so stupid... I can't figure out where the pdf's are going, or where to change... sorry for the trouble...

I tried changing in cups-pdf.conf, like it says on the webpage... but nothing seems to change:

Copy the file cups-pdf.conf to /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf (or whatever you set above in cups-pdf.h) and modify it to meet you requirements. All options are commented and the defaults should work fine on most systems.
Edited by krisbee2000

I can't figure out where the pdf's are going, or where to change...

I've never used cups-pdf before, so I'm guessing at this:

I just took a quick look at the cups-pdf.conf on the site scarecrow linked to. I would suggest that if you think you have it set up properly, go to the 'Path Settings' section of the config file, and at this line:

#Out /var/spool/cups-pdf/${USER}

edit like this:

#Out /var/spool/cups-pdf/${USER}

Out ${HOME}/Desktop

That should place them on your desktop, so you can see if everything is working.

I guess you will have to look for them. :)

In a terminal (as root) run

updatedb

then (as user) run

locate -e .pdf > ~/pdf-list.txt

now in your ~/home directory you will have a pdf-list, open it and look for your missing pdf files.

I rebuilt the src rpm like the first post had instructed.... I think its the way cups has the URI that might be a problem:

Description: Cups-PDF

Printer Driver: Generic postscript color printer (rev3)

Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.

Device URI: cups-pdf:/