Problems Automounting in 2008.1 [solved]

krisbee2000

In 2006, I had no problem automounting my Ipod or flash drive... but in 2008, they don't automount, and I don't know where I should go to enable that. They do show up in KDE under media, but I don't want to have to physically mount and unmount each time.

Where do I start? I have done searches, but I keep getting old hal information...

I'm a little confused by what you are saying here because on my system nothing shows up under /media unless it is mounted. You are saying that the devices appear in /media but aren't mounted which is very strange.

Have you tried clicking the device icon in /media, selecting properties/mounting and then selecting the checkbox for 'mount automatically'? That might do it.

I'm a little confused by what you are saying here because on my system nothing shows up under /media unless it is mounted. You are saying that the devices appear in /media but aren't mounted which is very strange.

I'm sorry.. what I meant was they were showing up under storage media in konqueror... not actually under /media (which I don't want them there anyway, I want them in /mnt)... and of course what you suggested worked fantastic (and I didn't know you can do)...

However, there is no way to get the removable storage devices to show up under /mnt instead of /media, huh? I put in symlinks, but that is just a workaround... and that might be just fine, but if there is a way to get them under /mnt, I would love to know...

Edited by krisbee2000

If it's showing up in storage media, it's working/auto-mounting. Right-click on your desktop > configure desktop > behavior > device icons > check the ones you want to see, specifically the 'mounted removable medium' and the 'unmounted removable medium' boxes.

They don't go to /mnt by default anymore... The freedesktop.org specs wants them under /media.

To have them under /mnt you have to modify your hal policy rules (or maybe toy a bit with the KDE mounting rules, although you will likely have some folder permission problems).

Thanks so much for the help... I can live with them under media, so I will comply... I put a few symlinks in there for any of my scripts that I am not aware of that points there... it is really just for the ipod and quicken/quickbooks backup... One problem down with my new install, only one left, and I will be able to leave my 2006 install behind... :)

Thanks again!