Why do I bother?!

Guest mahiles

Guest mahiles

Rite well looks like getting this modem to work in linux is a lost cause then. :( And considerin I spend alot of my time on the net I think am gonna have to call it a day with Linux. At least until I can find a modem that works in linux and I can afford to buy yet another 1.

Thanks for all the help people, much appreciated.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is exactly why windows controls the hardware market the way they do. People use windows, not by choice, but because it was forced on them during the purchase of a computer, and then they are trapped by the windows "business" practices. Very few windows users actually choose windows. To the contrary, every linux user chooses linux! :wink:

Sounds like it is time for plan 3:

Scoopy's radical way of solving a hose job.

I would put the bios back to modem use IRQ3 and reopen those serial ports. Then delete all those ttyS0 to ttyS3 files we have been messing with. The system should replace those it needs. Then hope that the restart will pick up the modem on the proper tty file and that the control center will do its job properly.

I looked up the modem and this should have been easier than the stuff I went through with my winmodem I had.

Guest mahiles

Just sent the following using Creative's support centre, if they actually reply I'll post it on here..

I would like you to explain something I've found as I hope it is not true.

"ESS's ES2898 TeleDrive®DSP chipset provides an effective controllerless.."

"The host CPU is utilized to run the modem controller functions..."

And I thought I bought the controller-based version of the product? In fact I know I bought the so-called controller-based version however looking at the information I've seen creative is just plain lying!

As I've said I hope my findings are not fully correct and I am very annoyed at what I have seen so far.

I look forward to your reply.

Well, if that turns out to be correct it sucks...

One thing you learn in linux is just how generic a lot of stuff is. Two manufactuerers can use practically the same chipsets for different products and they can both work perfectly with a single driver.

Then something like a change from model A to B can be a completely different product. You don't notice in Windows becuase usually the manufactuerer gives a driver disk so your non the wiser.

Anyway if its correct you still have hope... Winmodems are getting increasingly better supported in linux.

Guest mahiles

The modem you have here is not a full software or hardware modem, some

functions are done by the CPU and others by the modem.

The only FULL hardware modem we have is the serial one.

I hope this answered your question.

Oh great and I wanted an internal hardware modem. I give up!!

Yeah I gave up trying to find one (internal) I ended up "settling" for an external USRobotics 56K, which I'm really happy I did now because it works flawlessly, no effort required. PS They're dirt cheap...

See, the name of this topic is why do I bother? And you meant with linux. These type of issues, caused by windows' business practices, are what make me wonder why I bother with windows.

mahiles: there are some cheap winmodems that are proven to work reliably in linux. i actually have one that I don't use anymore. if you're interested, i'd sent it to you for the cost of shipping (although you may find it cheaper to purchase one somewhere being that you're in the UK and i'm in the US)

Guest mahiles

Thanks for the offer I'm ok thanks. I'll just have to keep searching and hope to find something! And besides, I didn't just want a hardware modem so linux could use it but I also wanted one cos I don't want a cheap nasty modem using up my processing power! Lol..

Guest JaseP

You're best off buying a cheap external serial, something based on the rockwell chipset. It's what I did and I never looked back. It works with everything. The only problem I have is that the new PC I have only has one stinkin' RS-232 serial port, and I have a docking cradle for the Palm m105 that now is homeless.