Why do I bother?!

Guest mahiles

on some motherboards you can switch PNP off in the BIOS. Often this can fix issues in Linux, rarely does it cause new issues to arise. I would check in your BIOS settings (usually F2 or DEL during bootup-prior to OS load-will get you into it-but be careful! ;-) )

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mahiles

I've turned off PNP in the bios which had no effect. :(

The only user manual I recieved was a quick start guide for installing windows drivers and had nothing on these 2 modes :(

mahiles,

One problem is trying to get it recognised after the aborted 'other' modem.

I'm sure eventually you will get it working but it might be worth considering how much customisation you've done compared to time wasted trying to get it working.

I'd be fairly certain a clean install would work but I hate suggesting it because its defeatist and you shouldn't have to do it. It might however be easier for you.

I found something in another thread that shows promise, it was regarding installing a digital camera after install and the problems are quite similar.

I left a post with the guy so I'll wait and see if he thinks what he found is relevant to the modem :-)

Guest mahiles

Unfortunately, I know that a clean install won't work because I've already tried it. In fact, I've done it several times trying to get this working. Each time was an attempt to make sure no older drivers or older anything would interfere. For example, this morning when I read about the PNP setting in the bios I first did it and then looked to see if Mandrake had found the modem. It didn't so I did a clean install hoping the setup would detect it, but it didn't. So in conclusion I've been doing tons of clean installs over the past few days but the modem still does not work in Mandrake :(

Guest mahiles

Just been in contact with Creative Technical Support:

====================================

New Conference with Boris

from CLE

04 July 2003 13:20:45 BST

====================================

Boris : Thank you for contacting Creative Interactive Chat.

How can I help you?

You : I've been told that the Modem Blaster v.90 ISA has 2 modes, PNP enabled

and PNP disabled. Does the Modem Blaster v.92 PCI also have these 2 modes?

Boris : Hello

You : If so how do I change modes?

Boris : no, PNP only refers to ISA, not PCI

You : ok thanks

Now I'm even more confused I thought PNP was to do with auto detecting hardware and automatically configuring what IRQ etc it is assigned? Help! :?

Boris : no, PNP only refers to ISA, not PCI

You : ok thanks

Now I'm even more confused I thought PNP was to do with auto detecting hardware and automatically configuring what IRQ etc it is assigned? Help!  :?

He's completely right. ISA devices started as non-PNP. PNP was defined for them later. PCI devices are PNP by definition. They don't start working till they are configured.

Have you checked your bios for the configuration on the pci slot your modem is on? You said earlier that none of your hardware shows up in the bios. Every machine I have, as well as the machines I bench, have configuration capacities in the bios for pci slots as well as irq settings for the com ports. (Unless your box is older than 5 years)

If you really end up getting nowhere I might suggest re-installing mandrake making sure that PNP OS is off in your bios (it should have been the first time, really, 'cause this forces the bios to try to detect some settings for hardware rather than letting the OS try - helps linux out)

Which, now I suppose, is off because you made it so above... but I have had trouble adding hardware later that was easily setup for me upon mdk installation. But obviously try Ithusdan's idea first...

I assume you'll want to use kppp for the dialing, which I believe uses /dev/modem (just a link to /dev/ttySx, which in turn is just a link to /dev/tty/x, therefore /dev/modem essentially points to /dev/tty/x)

question: should he Try linking /dev/modem to a different ttyS_ ?

For what it's worth, I have found that windex will run a machine whose hardware is "sort of" set up, because it does it's own thing. That's how Big Bill wants to take over every inch of the computing world. But, linux behaves like--well, an operating system. The computer that is set up correctly in the hardware, runs linux. I don't even use auto in the bios! I set up the hardware. While I like gui and dumb user type desktops, I know that the underlying hardware must be technically accurate. Even with windex, which occassionally tries to run several items on the same irq as your video card (lots of odd problems occur) if the bios assigns irq's to a specific pci slot, the user can control windex! :wink:

Guest mahiles

Just a note.. In kppp I'm not pointing it to use /dev/modem 'cos I know that might not have been set up correctly. I'm pointing it directly to /dev/ttyS2..

I'm about to go into the bios and check every single thing and find if I can do something more from there...

Lol my pc isn't 5 years old, maybe about 1 year since I did anything to it..

Oh and I have done a clean install since turning off PNP in the bios

Hope i aint missed out anything I needed to add..

Guest mahiles

Could someone confirm that these settings will be ok please. I don't actually understand what they do!

PCI Master 1 WS Write Disabled

PCI Master 1 WS Read Dsiabled

CPU to PCI Post Write Enabled

PCI Delay Transaction Disabled

^Located in "PCI Timing Settings"

Reset Configuration Data Disabled

PCI/VGA Palette Snoop Disabled

^Located in "PnP/PCI Configuration"

I still cannot find any mention of any of my PCI Devices in the BIOS.

My random thoughts here:

First we should do as tyme suggested a few pages back and make a symlink for the modem... it won't hurt nothing:

ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem

This way anything looking for "modem" will find it.

Second, How do we know this modem is ttyS2, and not ttyS0 or something else? I don't buy the windows uses com3 thing, cause maybe that has been set up wrong, so then linux (trying to set up correctly) will be using something else then. (been there, done that)

Third, Have we checked Mandrake Control Center recently to see it a modem has appeared there since the last clean install?

And last, maybe installing a few of the updates might help. Don't know what exactly they fixed, but they fix some problems... especially this one: drakxtools-9.1-31.2mdk.i586.rpm

Guest mahiles

Done the 1st one..

As for the 2nd point I've tried COM3 and COM4 (COM1 and COM2 are round the back of my base unit so I'm assuming it won't be using them)..

3rd point.. Modem is still listed where it has always been listed, in the hardware unknown section :?

Finally which updates would people recommend I try and where do I obtain them?

Thanks

I think Scoopy has the rt idea.

Second, How do we know this modem is ttyS2, and not ttyS0 or something else?
by using setserial (on the cd's)

[root@localhost /]# setserial -ga /dev/ttyS0

/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0

closing_wait: 3000

Flags: spd_hi skip_test

and going through the ttySx's til it finds it. Of course there's always the autoconfig option, but I don't suggest or like that myself. I prefer to know what is happening and choose the settings. Be careful with setserial! I burned up a USR5610b overclocking. :roll: ....long story, but basically what I thought it could do what it could not., and I thought it could because win98 said it was soing it :roll: I HATE M$ :P