Why do I bother?!

Guest mahiles

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you looking for /dev/ttyS2 or /dev/ttyS2/ ? the later is a directory.

check for any /dev/ttySx references. If the modem is in the PCI slot correctly, there should be an entry for it somewhere-if it's truly a controller-based modem.

Guest mahiles

No /dev/ttySx/ directories

I have the files ttyS0, ttyS1 and ttyS2 but (I'm hoping this is of some significance)...

ttyS0 and ttyS1 both look like little black tv screens

ttyS2 looks like a brown document with a large green "?" on top. In the bottom left hand corner of the file is an arrow pointing down-right. When I double clicked this file a message popped up saying the following:

"file:/dev/ttyS2 doesn't seem to exist anymore"

I tried refreshing the view and it still shows its there though?!

No /dev/ttySx/ directories
yes, because we don't want directories! we want files!!!

try setting your dialer to point to /dev/ttyS2 (_not_ a directory, don't put any ending / on it!) if that doesn't work try one of the others.

ttyS2 looks like a brown document with a large green "?" on top. In the bottom left hand corner of the file is an arrow pointing down-right. When I double clicked this file a message popped up saying the following:

"file:/dev/ttyS2 doesn't seem to exist anymore"

I tried refreshing the view and it still shows its there though?!

Just a quick note: Linux uses special "files" to access your hardware. For instance, the first partition (1) on your first harddrive (hda) would be /dev/hda1 (and the second partition on the second drive would be /dev/hdb2, see? Make sure to read this quick read to get a handle on where linux keeps stuff. It explains how linux mounts things, you'll see. Be sure to read the new part at the bottom too)

Have you pulled out your modem and changed slots since windows said it was com3? Because this "doesn't seem to exist anymore" message seems weird...

Guest mahiles

Just about to give that link you posted a read in a sec but just to confirm that I haven't moved the modem anywhere it's always been in the same PCI slot and windows is still recognising it as COM3. I don't know why ttyS2 is showing that message :?

Its no use saying what an icon looks like becuase that depends on the theme and window manager.

It will work much easier from the command line with an

ls -l - you can post the text as well and we'll know exactly what kind of file it is.

Your com port is actually set by PnP so what it is in windows isn't necasarily the same in Linux. It depends which IRQ it gets assigned.

Your problem probably half comes from the fact it wasn't there on install. If it had been it would 'probably' have been detected and configured automatically.

I'm completely guessing but your icon might mean a broken link. In windows terms that would be a shortcut to something that's moved or disappeared.

To put your current problem into a Windows perspective this is like when a hardware install goes wrong and you end up with multiple drivers. when you go into safe mode it suddenly shows you have multiple drivers.

So you are probably left with some 'ghosts' of the unsupported winmodem install from earlier. If you read the bottom of static's link you'll see how to do this at the Command Line Interface (CLI)

Guest mahiles

ls -l showed:

"lr-xr-xr-x 1root root 5 Jul 3 2003 ttyS2 -> tts/2"

the "ttyS2 -> tty/2" had a red background and white text???

If I do need to configure a PCI driver how do I do that?

Remember am a n00bie :?

Thanks again

OK good. (well not good, but at least we're getting somewhere)

The white text/red background means a broken link. If /dev/ttyS2 was a link pointing at /dev/tts/2 - then tts/2 was removed, the link /dev/ttyS2 would be bad, like what seems to have happened with you...

Try "cd /dev/tts" followed by "ls -la" and give us that output...

You said you bought new modems when others didn't work, right? Was that with this same linux installation? Because if so this bad link might be from one of the previous modems...

yes, because we don't want directories!  we want files!!!

Calm down, take a deep breath, count to 10, and tell yourself it's all going to be okay..... :wink:

erm....i guess i should have put a wink or something after that, my fault ;-)

Guest mahiles

[root@localhost root]# cd /dev/tts

[root@localhost tts]# ls -la

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 ./

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 ../

crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 64 Jan 1 1970 0

crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 65 Jan 1 1970 1

the . and .. on the 1st 2 lines were in blue

the 0 and 1 at the end of the last 2 lines were yellow

I did a clean install of mandrake so there will be nothing from any previous modem.

Thanks 4 all the help so far ppl!

Rite..

/dev/ttyS2 was where I did try and it didn't work

Its a PCI modem not a USB one so I should imagine the solutions are different?

I couldnt see any mention of the modem in the BIOS however my other PCI devices weren't anywhere to be seen either and yet they work fine in Mandrake.

Oh yeh and autodetect does not find the modem.

Hope I din't miss anything!

Just thought I might also let you know that I'm a linux newbie which won't be helping :S

Glad your trying Linux and especially Mandrake- the best of any distro and User Community..

I too have a Creative Modem Blaster- good modem, especially since it IS controller based. Only differences between yours and mine- mine is ISA (not PCI) and V.90 (not V.92).

Your issue of Mandrake NOT recognizing this component is frustrating I'm sure. However, Mandrake has NEVER failed to recognize mine ... :D ONLY difference is that my Modem Blaster operates in two (2) modes:

1) PNP-Enabled: this is controlled by on-board dip switches and provides an "ease-of-use"?? aspect for Windoze environments

2) PNP-disabled, COM/IRQ settings fixed: Controlled by adjusting DIP switch settings to your choice (COM1, COM2. etc.) with associated IRQ relationships. For mine- I utilize COM1, etc.

If your Modem Blaster is similar (could be..!) then I strongly recommend you undertake option #2 (PNP-disabled, fixed COM/IRQ settings), which should be described in the latter sections of your User Manual (was in mine...).

This approach has never failed- either for Windoze or Mandrake (Linux).. Good luck..