Why do I bother?!

Guest mahiles

Guest mahiles

Here we go..

I decided to have a go at linux.. I installed to find that it didn't support half my hardware. I think to myself ok, I'll try the modem 1st. I spent hours wasting my time trying to find and get drivers to work. But I aren't going to give up yet. I find out the modem I was using was a controller-less modem so I buy a controller-based modem. Now I'm thinking this has got to work, Linux didn't support my original modem so surely if I get one it's supposed to support it will work. But the modem did not work. I think to myself I still am not going to give up so I buy a second controller-based modem. Guess what.. Linux still hasn't got a clue what it's doing.. What a suprise!

I'm now weighing up the possiblity of completely giving up on Mandrake because all it's given me is headache after headache. I don't know how it is the US but it ain't so easy to get hold of controller-based modems in the UK and when I did all I got was disappointment.

Does anyone have a modem that works?!!?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could give you a long list of why you should bother but hey, you already took that step.

First off - MandrakeUsers aren't affilaited in anyway with Mandrake although they do have a link here and let em use their logo. So other than the fact we all want to see Mandrake succeed thats it.

OK: On with some HELP....

First off, modem support is a tricky issue, not least becuase the 9.1 version was lets say a little rushed and there are lots of updates. Course this gives a bit of a catch-22 situation. However, help is at hand.

So:

What version of mandrake (although you don't say it was I presume thats how you ened up here) are you using, is it download or boxed set. (If it isn't Mandrake don't worry, well still help :-))

I have a working modem but its so old you probably couln't buy one but its pretty rare for a controllerless modem not to work.

Sometimes, especially if your a noobie it can be easier to reinstall before you spend time customising, that way the installer takes care of everything ... but wait .. not yet.

Post up your version and modem spec first then we can ask you to type some stuff and post it.

Good luck and once again WELCOME

What modem did you buy

Guest mahiles

I'm in a rush so hope this makes sense!

Mandrake 9.1

Creative Modem Blaster v.92 controller-based version (cos there was also a controller-less version)

I was looking for a modem that could do v.92 and v.44 compression not a v.90 modem or anything. This is just about the only one i could find!

If you need anything else just ask although it will be a few hours b4 i'm able to post again

Thanks

controller-based modems are hard to find. winmodems are taking over the world, those damn bastards.

what program are you using to try to dial out? did you check Mandrake Control Center, under hardware, hardware list (or something like that) to see if the modem is listed there? Why it is that makes you think it doesn't work? What happens when you try to dial out? If the mode is controller-based, we should be able to get it working.

Guest mahiles

Rite.. I definately know theres nothing wrong with the actual modem as I've got windows to use it fine.

Mandrake does not actually detect it as a modem it says that it's an unknown device. If you want I can quote exactly what it says..

I've tried doing things like setting it up manually on COM3 (which is where windows says it is) but nothing.

Thanks people.

One little thing about controller based modems: when your computer boots up, check that it is listed in the bios screen. Better yet, go into your bios (at boot, hit esc or F1 or ctrl F1--it is different for different boards. It will tell you how to get into the bios at the bottom of the screen when you first boot) and verify your bios settings for the slot and com ports. It should be automatic with newer board, but it doesn't hurt to check. Whatever your bios sees, linux sees. That's the hardware part, the rest is software. I am confident that this community can get you on-line! :wink:

Here's what I got off an old thread.

If your modem is ACM USB modem you do not need a driver for your modem. You can not use  

/dev/modem because it does not exists. Just do a symbolc link to your real device and name it  

/dev/modem and use that for your modem.  

First be root and use fallowing code  

ln -s /dev/usb/acm/0 /dev/modem  

/dev/usb/acm/0 is my Creative Modem Blaster USB device, please check for your device's  

real name.  

Do not forget to set permissions for this link to use it.  

Good luck!

Linux handles things in a much more generic way than windows which is why some models just work.

If you open Mandrake Control Centre MCC you can go to the Internet/Network

If you go through the wizard you have an option to autodetect.

If you do uncheck any boxes except the modem.

If it can't autodetect the modem then STOP and post back on here.

Well try a different approach.

If it does autodetect it then follow the instructions and hopefully voila...

If it hangs at some point, especially detecting your internetnet conneciton or testing it just be patient...its probably just connecting and not giving feedback.

If it hangs and doesn't try and document what you did, which choices you made and post it.

GOOD LUCK

I've tried doing things like setting it up manually on COM3 (which is where windows says it is) but nothing.
If it's on COM3 in windows it would be /dev/ttyS2 (if I remember my devfs naming conventions correctly) in linux...is that what you pointed your dialer to use?

Guest mahiles

Thanks 4 all the help so far ppl!

Rite..

/dev/ttyS2 was where I did try and it didn't work

Its a PCI modem not a USB one so I should imagine the solutions are different?

I couldnt see any mention of the modem in the BIOS however my other PCI devices weren't anywhere to be seen either and yet they work fine in Mandrake.

Oh yeh and autodetect does not find the modem.

Hope I din't miss anything!

Just thought I might also let you know that I'm a linux newbie which won't be helping :S

Just thought I might also let you know that I'm a linux newbie which won't be helping :S
No worries ;-)

hmm....try running your dialer from a terminal, as root, and see if any error messages show up in the terminal when you try to dial (I'm trying to find an error message somewhere, as that might narrow down what exactly the issue is)

Guest mahiles

I don't know how to dial using the terminal so I tried a few other things and here are the various messages I recieved:

"Connection failed" - This was in the Internet Connection Wizard

"kppp can not find:

/dev/modem"

"kppp can not find:

/dev/ttyS2/"

"Unable to open modem" - This was in kppp's settings for the modem.

I don't know if its ne help but I found this in the Hardware Section of the MCC:

"Vendor: ESS Technology

Bus: PCI

Bus identification: 125d:2898:148d:1063

Location on the bus: 0:a:0

Description: ES2898 Modem

Module: unknown

Media class: COMMUNICATION_OTHER"

it is for linmodems ;-)

ok, check in /dev and see if ttyS2 exists.

if it does, try:

ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem

and see if that helps any.

p.s.-it should be /dev/ttyS2 not /dev/ttyS2/ as the ending / would indicate a directory.