Newbie, Mandrake 9, Installation Oddities on my laptop

Guest omro

Hi All,

Warning: I'm practically a complete Linux newbie! The only Linux machine I've used for any length of time is my Zaurus Palmtop and based on my positive experiences with that, I thought I'd give Linux a try on my laptop one day, especially since Win2k isn't that stable on it.

The other day I upgraded an old laptop at work with a new hard drive and thought I'd put the old one in my laptop to give Linux a try. I could try Linux and not worry about my old data as that'd be nice and safe on the original HD. I downloaded Mandrake Linux 9, having heard that it's easy for the linux newbie.

My laptop is an Acer 630, not covered by Linux on Laptops unfortunately. The processor is a P4 1.4M. 256mb of Ram. 15GB HD. GeForce 2 Go processor. ALi Soundchip. 15" 1400x1050 TFT Panel.

I ran the installer and all worked fine, I progressed through the installation steps and generally took guesses at the questions. Then it came to the Xfree configuration. I picked the newest 4.2.1, assuming it would have the most success. I selected 1400x1050 flat panel, then that resolution and 32bit colour depth. Pressed test and rubbish appeared on the screen. I tried a few other resolutions and colour depths and eventually only 800x600 at 65,000 colours would display correctly (though the mouse cursor disappeared, which I didn't take much note of as I just assumed it was meant to vanish). I thought, ok, that'll be enough to give it a go and I can probably work out how to change the resolution after that.

The laptop rebooted and booted into KDE, but the mouse cursor is missing. I can move my finger about on the touchpad and things will hi-light and I can press the mouse keys and things will activate, but it's rather difficult not being able to see the cursor!

So my questions for now are:

1) How can I get the mouse cursor back?

2) How can I change the resolution to make full use of my laptop's TFT panel?

Thanks,

Owen

P.S. I guess there will be other questions after this for the patient.

for the resolution issue:

open up a terminal and run "DrakConf" (it is case sensitive)

you will be prompted for the root password.

type in the root password

<enter>

under hardware, click on the resolution icon. from there you can make your changes.

I really don't know what to tell you on the cursor issue though.

• 2 weeks later...

You can try to set up a framebuffer device which should get you higher resolution and more colors anyway.

For the cursor thing ... try the following (just a try)

1 -login as root in xterm or so

2 - edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (XFree 4)

or

edit /etc/X11/XF86Config

3 - look up the section "InputDevice"

and add the following >>

Option	"sw_cursor"

Good luck

Fab