configuring wireless cards

Guest LordGrahf

Guest LordGrahf

Hi,

I have a Microsoft (yeah yeah I know) MN-520 PCMCIA card which is a prism 2 chipset. I'm using Mandrake 9.1

how can I configure that thing?

thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://homepage.mac.com/cuddapah/wireless.html

Offtopic: Hmmmm....I used to chat with someone who called himself LordGrahf from the IkonBoard forums, where I was known as Omar Serenity. (I have no idea where the name LordGrahf comes from, so it may just be a coincidence...lol)

Guest LordGrahf

I tried adding

" card "Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520 ....." to /etc/pcmcia/config

and when I restarted my system, it freezed right at the point when it checks the PCMCIA card, it says:

"cardmgr[826]: socket 0: Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520 1.0.3

starting portmapper :

cardmgr[826]: executing: 'mdprobe oronico' "

do you know how to go around this? btw, I'm totally new to linux, so don't be surprised if I didn't know a key element on how to configure things in this system.

btw, probably you know another LordGrahf. Grahf is actually a character from the videogame Xenogears by SquareSoft for the PS. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people with the same nick name due to the greatness of Xenogears and Grahf's character, you should check it out :)

Guest LordGrahf

checked your tutorial step-by-step, actually I've found that when I use /sbin/cardctl ident the system gives me a manfid field which I didn't use before, so I accessed /etc/pcmcia/config and changed

card "Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520 1.0.3"

version "Microsoft", "Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520", "", "1.0.3"

bind "orinoco_cs"

to

card "Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520 1.0.3"

manfid (whatever the system gave me back)

bind "orinoco_cs"

and unfortunately I got the same result, freezing at the boot :banghead:

leave the version part in there and just add the manfid and see what that does. Are you still able to boot to a prompt? Where is it freezing? What appears on the screen when it freezes? Just looking for a little more info to help you through your problem.

Guest LordGrahf

^^^tried that too,

my computer freezes at the booting (when linux start checking the modules and all that) here's the last few lines that linux outputs right before freezing:

Checking internet connection to start at boot    [OK]

Starting PCMCIA                                                     [OK]

cardmgr[904]: socket 0: Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520 1.0.3 

starting portmapper : 

cardmgr[904]: executing: 'mdprobe oronico' 

Starting jserver:

It could possibly be that evil ifplugd thing that I had to deal with. Every time I modprobe'd the driver for my phoneline network card, I got a kernel panic. On boot, though, if you have a kernel panic at that point, it should show on your screen (unless you are using Aurora, I guess). Run logdrake and tell it to look in every file (user, messages, syslog, etc) for 'Oops' without the quotes. Here is the very short list of supported drivers of ifplugd. (I'm not saying that's your problem, but it easily could be):

# cat /usr/share/doc/ifplugd-0.13/SUPPORTED_DRIVERS 

The following list is a short summary of user experiences with certain

network drivers.

The version prefixed with k is the driver version of the specific

kernel, the version prefixed with d is the driver version. Versions

suffixed with p are patched with a patch supplied with ifplugd.

Driver   | Version              | Support

---------+----------------------+------------------------------------------------

eepro100 | k2.4.19              | works fine, even with -a

e100     | k2.4.20              | works fine, doesn't work with -a

8139too  | k2.4.19              | the machine may lock up, doesn't work with -a

8139too  | k2.4.20 or d0.9.26   | works, doesn't work with -a   

8139too  | k2.4.20p or d0.9.26p | works, even with -a

de4x5    | k2.4.18              | Fails completely

tulip    | k2.4.18              | works; does it work with -a???

3c59x    | k2.4.19 and .20      | Works, even with -a

Please help me to extend this list and send me

(mz6966706c756764@itaparica.org) more information about your

experience with drivers not included in the list above yet.

$Id: SUPPORTED_DRIVERS 1.4 Sat, 01 Feb 2003 02:36:25 +0100 lennart $

Ok. I'm a bit confused, then. If you are not able to boot at all, how are you able to change the config file?

My laptop gives very similar messages when it boots, I have one that you don't have which is:

cardmgr[831]: executing: ./network/start/eth1

Or something very similar, I don't have the laptop in front of me to get the message exactly, but that message would be added after you config the card in MCC; once we get you that far.

I am wondering if it actually freezes because of the wireless card or due to something else. I see this in your boot message:

Starting jserver:

What is this? It's not something I'm familar with at all.

One more question: How long are you giving it before you give up and think it's freezing? It could be that something is taking a really long time to start up, but maybe not.

What kind of laptop is it?

Guest LordGrahf

I change my configs by removing the card before restarting, my system doesn't freeze when the card is out but it does when the card is on.

I've also tried to restart the PCMCIA service using the "/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart" command withing the shell, and that also resulted in a crash. which makes me believe that the "jserver: " isn't the reason behing it.

I have a Compaq Presario 2100

If you can hang out until I get to where my laptop is, I may be able to help you. It will be a few hours, but I will post here to see if what I find helps you out.

As another question, though, are there any error messages in the logs after that particular step in the boot process? I'm not sure where to look for that, but there has to be a way to get this card working.

Do you dual boot on this laptop? Is there a way you could email me a copy of your /etc/pcmcia/config file?